IGNORED

Rock Tumbler For Rust Removal

WDILL

Does anyone remeber the tips on how to use a rock tumbler to remove rust from small pieces like nuts, bolts, etc. I think you put some sand in but do you also spay the parts with Wd40? Thanks. I'm starting to slowly tacle the restoration of this beast.

I'd do it dry, if you use WD-40 or anything like that, the sand will just cake around the bolts and you'll lose the effectiveness of the sand.

I've never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea, if you have a rock tumbler that is....:ermm:

Could probably also use the tumblers used by shooter to clean used shell casings... they are fairly cheap in most shooting catalogs....take a while, but it should do the job.

Originally posted by WDILL

Does anyone remeber the tips on how to use a rock tumbler to remove rust from small pieces like nuts, bolts, etc. I think you put some sand in but do you also spay the parts with Wd40? Thanks. I'm starting to slowly tacle the restoration of this beast.

The idea is to use the sand and a liquid to make a thin "slurry" mix of abrasive material that will mechanically clean the metal parts. You can use a rock tumblers, or tumbler for cleaning brass ammo casings. Either way it takes time for the process to work it's magic.

If you use a rock tumber on nuts, won't it round off the corners? You'd want them to be sharp to fit the socket/wrench.

I'm interested on how the chemical "CLR" works on rust. Tthere is also a nother chemical:

REMOVE RUST WITH NO WORK, ACIDS, OR ENVIRONMENTAL WORRIES!

NO VOC's; NO HAP's; NO Solvents; No Acids; No Bases; Non-Corrosive; Non-Toxic; Non-Flammable;

Biodegradable; Sewerable in neat form

Safe for brass, copper, aluminum, glass, vinyl, rubber, plastic, wood, and cork Will not harm non-oxide paints or coatings such as chrome or black anodizing.

Orison Marketing, L.L.C.

<http://www.orisonllc.com

It sounds like plain water....?

Originally posted by TomoHawk

If you use a rock tumber on nuts, won't it round off the corners? You'd want them to be sharp to fit the socket/wrench.

Before the slurry damages the "corners" of the nuts it will damage the threads. The idea is to have a fine abrasive liquid and to only use it for the minimum length of time necessary to "clean" the items This process CAN damage the nuts, bolts, ets and is not something that I'd waste my time and energy on trying. Most nuts, and bolts, etc are just too cheap and easily available to mess with this process.

"Of course, different strokes for different folks"

I use a product called "OSPHO" by The Skybryte Company. It is a solution of phosphoric acid used by painters to prepare rusted metal surfaces for painting. I soak all kinds of rusted stuff in the solution or just spray it on the metal. Over time, it will take the rust off. You can paint over it after it dries and Home Depot sells it. I'm surprised you guys don't talk about this stuff. I soaked some metal I picked up on Omaha Beach that was all encrusted in sea rust and coral growth. After two days, it was bright shiny steel. I have soaked cannon balls and nails from sunken wooden sailing ships with the same results. Simply spraying OSPHO on metal turns it black with a white residue. OSPHO is water soluable. OSPHO is nasty stuff, but I would soak my nuts and bolts in it before I would use a rock tumbler.

I wouldn't want to stick my nuts not to mention my bolt in anything like that !!! :)

Sorry just had to say it :)

Tumbling would be a slow process, and remember that the rust you remove is the metal from the item itself. So when you are done you will have no rust but pits where the rust was. It will also remove any plating that was left on the part so as soon as it sees moisture it will start rusting again...

I would have to agree that if you are thinking nuts and bolts, new are cheaper and are better than cleaned up old rusted ones.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Could probably also use the tumblers used by shooter to clean used shell casings... they are fairly cheap in most shooting catalogs....take a while, but it should do the job.

I bought one of these to restore slot car parts. Its really a large bowl with a heavy duty vibrating motor. You use walnut shells with a heavy liquid additive solution. It works well.

Might be able to find one at your local toy store. My kid has one that he used once for polishing some rocks, and never since. Came in a kit from the toy store (dont' know which store). Anything I decide to clean up vs buy new, maybe I'll try it....

At work we use large "shaker beds" filled with ceramic "Fingers". Does a great job. New hardware is my first choice as the plating is intact. All the methods mentioned remove the zinc and these cleaned pieces will rust doubly quick.

But, new is NOT cheap! I just bought a bunches of Nissan Hardware, especially the 6mm bolts (with the phillip's X on a 10 mm hex) that is used so much all over the car. A paid a grip. But at least I have a hobby!