IGNORED

Factory/Dealer Option Air Dam?

Dale B.

I have seen pics of original 240's with what looks like a small rubber air dam on them. I like the look of these but can't seem to find one anywhere. Anybody have any hints? It 's a small air dam that seems to mount to the back of the valance.

-Dale-

Now that's a tough one, I haven't seen one of those in years. I remember seeing them on a couple cars a long time ago. If I remember they may have been a dealer installed piece. As far as where to look for one, try Motorsport and just for the heck of it try Impact parts. Impact has in the past found me things no one else had, they have kinda gotten away from the Datsun only business but they may know where to look. I have an old catalog of theirs here somewhere, I'll try to find it if you don't know how to get in touch with them. Other than that you may need a lot of luck finding one.

I believe what you are looking for is the fiberglass BRE spook(SP?) style air dam which mounts without taking off the valance. They have them in the Motorsport Auto (MSA) catalog for $100 with or without ducts.

Although, I think I have seen some elsewhere that are even more subtle than the spook style. I have to dig a little and see what I can find.

The air dams that were originally available and most often installed were the small fiberglass ones that attached with four bolts to the rear of the front valance. They came in black gelcoat and many people left them in that color - that's why they look like rubber. Believe me they are not - hit something hard or when going fast and they shattered. I lost one once to a possum that was too slow to cross the road.

They were listed in the Datsun Comp catalog and you could get them at the dealer and many dealers did install on new cars to bump the $ on the sticker. They were also available from others like bob sharp or Impact Parts and BRE did call them a spook.

I probably have an old photo or catalog showing one of them. I could shoot you a picture if you want to make sure that is what you are talking about.

When you said they looked like rubber I got thrown off a little. Most everyone has the fiberglass "spook". I was thinking at one time someone sold a rubber one that just ran along the backside of the valence. It wasn't really a spoiler but more like about a 2 inch "L" shaped piece like what you see on a lot of cars today. Or maybe I'm thinking about something that came out for the later Z's.