IGNORED

Early 240Z Rearview Mirror - Is this correct?

koreavet

Hello,

I'm the second owner of an early (11/69) 240Z. The car came with a rearview mirror that is a little different from other 240Z mirrors I've seen. This mirror has a red dot on one edge of the day/night twist and nothing on the other edge. The broad sides of the twist have plain, vertical ridges. The other 240Z mirrors I've seen have a picture of a sun on one broad side and a star on the other side.

I've attached a picture of my mirror. Is this a correct early 240Z mirror?

Thanks.

Koreavet

post-3756-14150792854765_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by koreavet

Hello,

I've attached a picture of my mirror. Is this a correct early 240Z mirror?

Can't tell if the mirror is original from the picture (too close of a view) but the twist knob is NOT original. As mentioned, it should have SUN on one side and STAR on the other side.

koreavet,

This mirror with the red spot could be the factory fit item for the 2000 GT GTR or a similar car, this item is multi fit and supplied to Nissan for at least four diffrent vehicle types. As you know in early production many things where in short supply a single mirror with a red dot could easily slip quality control if it arrived in a box of 1000.

that one theory

cheers

Steve:classic:

if you scratch off the red dot you could be one of a few lucky winners for the following prizes from Datsun's 1969/70 super sweepstakes......

First Prize: two roundtrip tickets for you and a guest to the Woodstock Festival taking place in Saugerties, NY in August!

Second Prize: A Duncan Butterfly Yo Yo and a set of real glass clik claks!

Third Prize: a new rear view mirror to replace the old red dot mirror with an authentic 240Z Sun/Star from Nissan.

go ahead and give it a try!!!! good luck!!!

just kidding

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I checked my mirror,(03/70 made)it has star knob.

But I looked at 2 owner's manuals,there is a different description in each one.

#1 (15th Jan 1970 issued) "To rotate the adjustment knob,the red mark for day driving,turn the knob 180 degrees for night driving"

#2 ( 20th Mar 1970 issued) "To rotate the adjustment knob,the

"@"(star)mark for day driving,turn the knob 180 degrees for night

driving"

And please look at this carefully,this car is a very very early production 240Z,which showed up in the press kit 22nd Oct 1969

,letter size brochure and canadian mono color brochure.

I can see the red dot on the mirror knob.

kats

post-3193-14150793275161_thumb.jpg

Some might not realise that there was yet another version of the earliest interior rear-view mirrors.

This was from the 'no frills' base-level Fairlady Z ( S30-S ) and it had no knob on it at all - it had no 'Night' anti-dazzle position.

This was also seen on the 432R, which shared many of the 'no frills' touches of the S30-S in an attempt to save weight.

*96321-E4100 BACK MIRROR arse'Y - inside ( S30-S & PS30-SB )

( no Anti-Dazzle position )

*96321-E4600 BACK MIRROR arse'Y - inside

*96321-E4601 BACK MIRROR arse'Y - inside

I wonder if the E4600 is the "Red Dot" type and the E4601 is the "Sun & Star" type that very quickly superseded it?

Alan T.