IGNORED

1969 240 parts

Gotcha

Only thing I can think of for early Z's around the front bumper is that the headlight buckets(I call them SugarScoops) were made from fibreglass not steel like the later Z's.

In terms of bumpers they had skinny bumpers for US models and anything else like the overiders etc.. were optional as far as I know :)

Lets talk about this 69. What is the VIN number? You can find it in several places:

Top of the dash on the driver's side,

On the plate in the driver's door jamb,

Stamped in the firewall in the engine bay,

On the plate attached to the left front shock tower in the engine bay.

The plate on the door will have the date of manufacture stamped on it.

The plate on the shock tower will have the engine number stamped on it

All of these numbers are important. Only some 500 69's were imported and that makes the car rare, classic, and very collectable. Even the worst rust bucket is valuable. I am definitely interested in the car.

Concerning parts for the car, they are only scarce, and with some determined effort can be had at very reasonable expense. Most 71 parts interchange and some up to 73 model year. Please consider the car with great interest. Post photographs for us, if you can and good luck. You may have found a real nice car.

Originally posted by 240 in OZ

I believe that the fibreglass headlight buckets/nose cones were introduced for the 72 model year.

I'd heard that the plastic headlight scoops were used on the earliest 240z only because the factory were having trouble making the metal ones. Once they shored out the tooling they made metal ones.

I have a 260z cone on the left side, and a plastic one on the right.

both soon to be replaced with metal ones off my 260z parts car.

OK, now you made me go and check the parts fiche book (www.carfiche.com) ;>.

For the LHD models the parts book lists that FRP (assumed to stand for fibre reinforced plastic) was used for the headlight buckets from start of production until 06/72. From 07/72 onwards the headlight buckets were metal.

Dates may vary slightly as sometimes the published literature doesnt correspond with changes made on the assembly line.

You are right in saying that the factory found it difficult to tool them up initially in metal so they went with the fibreglass ones due to the extreme demand for the cars when they were first introduced.

Im not sure how the dates for the LHD cars correspond to our RHD cars. My car is a 09/71 and it had one fibreglass bucket and one metal bucket that was used to repair the car when it was damaged some years back (prior to my ownership). I have recently replaced the metal one with a fibregalss one so I now have a matching pair of fibregalss ones. Mr C says his car is a 72 and by the sounds of it had fibreglass ones originally as well.

Mr C, I am happy to pay postage from yourself to me for the fibregalss one that you are going to replace on your car if you no longer want/need it. PM me and we can work it out.

Regards

Joseph