L28 pistons. Flat top or dishes? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

L28 pistons. Flat top or dishes?

Featured Replies

I've been doing research about L28 and L28ET pistons to turbo my build. Possibly buying an F54 vs keeping my N42 block.

Can someone identify if these pistons are considered flat top or dished. I'm assuming flat top because I have 3 N42 blocks and ALL 3 have these pistons which have an obvious bevel. However when I research flattop vs dished I only see similar pistons as dished from the turbo engine and completely flat pistons for non Turboed engines.

PXL_20260512_202629274.jpg

PXL_20260512_202744022.jpg

  • Author

after more research i am seeing the N42's came with dished pistons. for some reason i kept finding info about them having flat top.

They're dished from n42 '75 to 1979 zx I'm pretty sure. The '79 had a n47 head so not positive about that year. They went to p79 peanut combustion chamber for the flat tops, f54 block. The zx had more pull on the motor, electric windows and door locks with heavier bumpers and overall body weight. The window motors and all that crap added up. An n42 block or f54 with flat ops under an n42 cylinder head is a cheap bang for the bucks.

What cylinder head are you going to use? Plenty of info on mix and matching. Let us know and we can help.

To be honest I bought a '79 2+2 that had n47 head but flat pistons. So I'm not positive about base '79s.

Edited by siteunseen

  • Author

I have a recently running N42 with an N47 head. I might try to see if i can remove the exhaust liners, not 100% sure on that. If i find the funds i might try to source a P90 head if i can find a good deal on one. But long term i think im going to set up this engine as NA and start piecing it together to add a turbo.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Call old junkyard and see if they have ZX cars. $500 you can get a block with flat tops and a peanut shaped cylinder head, p79 or p90. P90 is hard to find. P79 not so hard but still 45 plus years old.

I have a core F54 with a P79 ready to pull out. I just don't know about shipping it. The last motor I tried to ship tuned out to be a nightmare.

  • Author
1 minute ago, Terrapin Z said:

I have a core F54 with a P79 ready to pull out. I just don't know about shipping it. The last motor I tried to ship tuned out to be a nightmare.

Thanks but i would be looking for a turbo'd F54 block. I think ill stick with the N42 and maybe try to find a P90 head.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What are you expecting to get with the "turbo'd" F54 block?

F54 blocks that came with the P90 head came with dished pistons to lower compression. F54 blocks that came with the P79 head came with flat top pistons. if you try to turbo the flat top piston blocks you can only run low PSI, or blow up the motor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.