240z, 5 Speed Transmission popping out of gear - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

240z, 5 Speed Transmission popping out of gear

Featured Replies

Someone here on the forum must have a scrapped trans laying around. I’m not a trans guy by any means. But that sounds like it would be a rare item to replace, especially that many.

Captain Obvious hasn't been around so I'll see if I can fill in for him: is there any chance that the rebuild guy just got the notches on the opposite/wrong side? 180 off? Each piece on the rods is held on with a roll pin. Part #7. They would be on the side we can't see in your pictures. On the inboard side.

image.png

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

is there any chance that the rebuild guy just got the notches on the opposite/wrong side? 180 off?

I like it!!!*

* (Spoken like Chevy Chase)

  • Author
1 hour ago, Patcon said:

You would also need to know exactly where to make them and what rotational orientation...

Yes Im aware of that.

52 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Someone here on the forum must have a scrapped trans laying around. I’m not a trans guy by any means. But that sounds like it would be a rare item to replace, especially that many.

I have plenty of 4 speeds for dirt cheap around where I live. Gonna pickup a 260z 4 speed transmission up tomorrow and see if those rods will work and what other components like the forks if those would realistically work for future reference.

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Captain Obvious hasn't been around so I'll see if I can fill in for him: is there any chance that the rebuild guy just got the notches on the opposite/wrong side? 180 off? Each piece on the rods is held on with a roll pin. Part #7. They would be on the side we can't see in your pictures. On the inboard side.

image.png

Yes the picture I sent was of the bottom and top side of the same rod. Both sides have one notch. Based on three YouTube videos and my previous 280z 5 speed pictures all these rods should have 3 notches so I'm not sure why this one has 1 notch for two rods.

That's a weird one, especially since the fork position is different among the three. At least you found something.

Since the 280Z 5 speeds are basically just the 4 speeds with an added 5th gear it makes sense that the 1-2 and 3-4 rods would be the same.

BUT - the PartsManual says otherwise. Doesn't mean that the rods won't swap though. The change might be insignifcant.

Edit - actually the part number is for the assembly, which includes the forks, which did change. Odds are in your favor.

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/4-speed/from-sep-71

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed

Edited by Zed Head

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I like it!!!*

* (Spoken like Chevy Chase)

That was spooky!

What's up with the 240Z? Thought we'd be getting a few deep dive looks at how things work or how to make them work.

  • Author
20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

That's a weird one, especially since the fork position is different among the three. At least you found something.

Since the 280Z 5 speeds are basically just the 4 speeds with an added 5th gear it makes sense that the 1-2 and 3-4 rods would be the same.

BUT - the PartsManual says otherwise. Doesn't mean that the rods won't swap though. The change might be insignifcant.

Edit - actually the part number is for the assembly, which includes the forks, which did change. Odds are in your favor.

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/4-speed/from-sep-71

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control/5-speed

Well, gotta bring bad news. The rods from a 4 speed are shorter than that on a 5 speed so it will not work. However I now have rods with the proper distance with the notches for a machine shop to use as reference.

However I do see some rods for sale on eBay, exact transmission code as a a 280z 5 speed but I'm not sure if they will actually work since they are for other datsuns

I gave some parts from a thrashed 5 speed to @Terrapin Z quite a while ago, I think. If he's organized and labeled them he might be able to find them, if I did actually give them to him.

I used the front case for a 240SX 5 speed conversion and kept all of the old parts. Can't stand throwing parts away. They might come in handy some day.

If I didn't give them to TerrapinZ then I would have taken them to the metal scrap yard. A long shot.

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I gave some parts from a thrashed 5 speed to @Terrapin Z quite a while ago, I think. If he's organized and labeled them he might be able to find them, if I did actually give them to him.

I used the front case for a 240SX 5 speed conversion and kept all of the old parts. Can't stand throwing parts away. They might come in handy some day.

If I didn't give them to TerrapinZ then I would have taken them to the metal scrap yard. A long shot.

I seem to remember you pulled a bunch of parts back out of the pile. Just couldn't part with them I suppose.

I still dug around just to be sure and I don't have any transmission parts. I do have two of the early 5 speeds and a late ZX one (not counting the 5-6 4speeds)

  • Author
3 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I seem to remember you pulled a bunch of parts back out of the pile. Just couldn't part with them I suppose.

I still dug around just to be sure and I don't have any transmission parts. I do have two of the early 5 speeds and a late ZX one (not counting the 5-6 4speeds)

If you have any bad transmissions and can sell the shift rods I will buy em. Probably best for an early 5 speed since that is what mine is.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Coming here to give an update and fix for my situation Incase this somehow ever happens to someone else. My problem has been resolved. Took my shift rods to a machinest and had him make the missing notches. I gave him the rods from the 4 speed I tore apart as reference for how far to machine them.

20260528_070546.jpg

Put the transmission back together and can confirm at this time that the shifter now has that satisfying click into gear, feels exactly how my old 280z 5 speed felt so I without a doubt believe the problem has been resolved as it now requires at least some force to get the transmission out of gear and the rubber shift boot is no longer pulling it out of gear. Will test drive the car in a week, if I don't post on here saying the car still pops out of gear then my problem has been resolved.

Edited by Ownallday

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.