Signals acting up - Page 2 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Signals acting up

Featured Replies

If @grannyknot was operating the hazard switch in between the successful and failed operations in his video, I might be inclined to think that. 

My mistake I thought everything was changed out to LED bulbs. With the harness/switch issues a lot of folks are experiencing.

  • Author

Okay, I know what I'm doing tomorrow, go through the entire path from the switch to bulb and back.  Thanks guys.

  • Author
  • Popular Post

Success, I did the ohm readings and you can see from my chart compared to Steve's chart that the left #4 terminal and the right #6 terminal where not getting power from #5.   I took the switch apart again and bent the #4 and #6 contacts down a fraction of a millimetre and I also put a thin spacer under the spring so the contact toggle would make firm contact when switched to left or right.

It is working perfectly now.

Thanks @SteveJ

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 16-25-14 Turn Signal Repair Fiddling With Z Cars.pngIMG_3007.JPGIMG_3008.JPG

 

  • Popular Post

So my wife is wrong. I AM good for something!

I'm glad you could get to the bottom of your problem.

Edited by SteveJ

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Amazing that old flasher is still ticking!

  • 3 weeks later...

Now that the contacts are burnished they will develop arc burns faster and fail sooner. Driving mine daily in Phoenix they'd last about 6 months before I'd need to take the switch apart and clean them again (that's with a fair amount of surface street and freeway driving - meaning a fair amount of signaling). After 5 or 6 iterations I gave up and found a "new" switch (that had fewer miles on it). It's been going for three or four years without any problems. I actually wish there was a way to recoat the contacts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.