IGNORED

headlight/parking light fuse heat relay upgrade

Driving my car more and more since getting it back together. During the restoration I went through the entire wiring harness, cleaned and replaced many connectors. Reworked the fuseblock tightening all the rivets. I did not take apart the headlight/wiper switch, just cleaned as best I could externally. Upgraded the alternator to internally regulated. 

When I run the headlights, the fuse gets hot. I am thinking of trying the headlight and parking light upgrade harnesses before considering a new fuse box. I read a few threads and think I have a good handle on the headlight harness.

I am trying to figure out how the parking light harness is installed. Is it on the steering column? Do you run a hot wire from the battery to it? Looking for some insight on this. I am going the right route here? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Driving my car more and more since getting it back together. During the restoration I went through the entire wiring harness, cleaned and replaced many connectors. Reworked the fuseblock tightening all the rivets. I did not take apart the headlight/wiper switch, just cleaned as best I could externally. Upgraded the alternator to internally regulated. 

When I run the headlights, the fuse gets hot. I am thinking of trying the headlight and parking light upgrade harnesses before considering a new fuse box. I read a few threads and think I have a good handle on the headlight harness.

I am trying to figure out how the parking light harness is installed. Is it on the steering column? Do you run a hot wire from the battery to it? Looking for some insight on this. I am going the right route here? Thanks!

What year is your Z? Different years have different wiring on the headlight switch. While Dave Irwin's harnesses work great, I do the headlight relays so only someone digging around in the car can find them.

Which fuse is getting hot? There are 3 separate fuses involved with the headlights and parking lights.

What do you mean when you say, "I am trying to figure out how the parking light harness is installed."? The positive side of the circuit comes off the fuse box and goes up to the steering column. That's where the switch is for the circuit.

3/72 240z. No intermittent wiper. I will have to check the fuse as it was dark when I was felling them, but I think it was the Park/tail and the headlight. Second and third one down on right side of fuse box. That is why I was thinking both harnesses. 

Edited by emccallum

All of the S30 headlight / parking light switches have this configuration on the switch posts, altho there may some slight differences in the wire color. The white/red wire is headlight power in and the red wire is headlight power out. The green wire is parking/tail/sidemarker power in and the green/white wire is power out. There is no ground in this setup.

100_4700.JPG

• Like 1

Usually it is the park/tail fuse that gets hot.

Corrosion in the bulb sockets can cause the fuse to heat up. Make sure they are clean. If the sockets are clean, switch the bulbs for the parking lights to LEDs. You may want to consider changing all of the gauge bulbs to LEDs, too. Search around this site. I have posted an LED list within the last year. I want to say I was updating it in October.

Thanks for the reply. I used LED in all the dash lights. Pretty sure my issue is in the park/tail circuit. Maybe I will try LEDs in all the running/tail lights first.  I was going to do that originally, but I was concerned with the flashers. I will check out some threads and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Thanks for the reply. I used LED in all the dash lights. Pretty sure my issue is in the park/tail circuit. Maybe I will try LEDs in all the running/tail lights first.  I was going to do that originally, but I was concerned with the flashers. I will check out some threads and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

I did this back in October, running/tail light fuse was too hot to the touch, on the advice of the boys here I changed out all the running/tail lights and signals bulbs for LED's. The fuse is now the same temp as all the rest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I did this back in October, running/tail light fuse was too hot to the touch, on the advice of the boys here I changed out all the running/tail lights and signals bulbs for LED's. The fuse is now the same temp as all the rest.

Thanks. Did you have to replace the flasher?