IGNORED

Rain drip trim clips 280z

MH77280Z

Hi Guys, my roof rain drip trim has only one retaining tab in it. I think I might have lost the other while taking it off or it didnt had more than 1.

How many retaining clips each has? and are they available? any link would be appreciable.

Seems I may have a few.   Six are available. 

They are diabolically tough to extract from a drip rail. Unless you cut the end off and slide them out.

In would easy, Just push straight in

Quite amazed at how many of the drip rails I have contain none. Some contain a couple. One contained six. Many I have removed have none and were staying on just fine without them. The Fiche shows them across all years. I once thought they were added later when drip rails were falling off. Given the fun they are to remove, I find this hard to believe.

Perhaps it’s their propensity for rusting away under the gutter that made them vanish. 

IMG_8193.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, zKars said:

They do not have their own part number, but are shown in the pictorial. 

In my opinion, that pop out in the drawing is for the profile of the drip rail not the clips. 

I have a bundle of loose drip rails, and don't recall seeing any clips. I have some 280Z's that are still attached to the cars. I'll look at those. 

• Like 1

My supply of, and experience removing, shows that many had none, some had a few, and in one case, it had six! 

I'm wondering if the factory applied them as needed rather than putting them in every one. Or they started adding more as the production progressed and issues were reported. 

My experience in replacing them suggests that they snap on very very tightly, rarely have I had an issue having them stay on after installing them. Mostly when too much paint was applied to the gutter pinch weld....  And once I discovered how to dislodge them without twisting them off so they do go back on easily without an induced kink or twist, life got much better. 

Edited by zKars

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

In my opinion, that pop out in the drawing is for the profile of the drip rail not the clips. 

I have a bundle of loose drip rails, and don't recall seeing any clips. I have some 280Z's that are still attached to the cars. I'll look at those. 

Appreciate it...let me know.

14 hours ago, zKars said:

Seems I may have a few.   Six are available. 

They are diabolically tough to extract from a drip rail. Unless you cut the end off and slide them out.

In would easy, Just push straight in

Quite amazed at how many of the drip rails I have contain none. Some contain a couple. One contained six. Many I have removed have none and were staying on just fine without them. The Fiche shows them across all years. I once thought they were added later when drip rails were falling off. Given the fun they are to remove, I find this hard to believe.

Perhaps it’s their propensity for rusting away under the gutter that made them vanish. 

IMG_8193.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg

Messaged you. I can probably clean few of these.

21 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

Appreciate it...let me know.

I pulled the drip rails off a 78 and see the remains of 4 clips, one usable. Looks like they are prone to rusting out. 

The one did not want to come out either, I didn't want to cut the rail just for one clip. 

• 2 weeks later...