IGNORED

240Z Fuel Pump Replacement

Randalla

Working on a customer's 1973 240Z with early AC compressor. Looks like removing the bad fuel pump and installing a new one will require substantial disassembly. Is there an easier way to swap the pump without disassembling half the car? Got off the two nuts on the top of the pump but can't find a way to reach the bottom one.

5 hours ago, Randalla said:

I have the compressor lose but there is very little ability to move it more than an inch or two, not enough to allow access to the final nut.

Keep in mind that I didn't say I was able to do it successfully. When I encountered that, the owner's son worked at a Kia dealership, and he had one of the mechanics in the service department tear out the non-functioning AC system.

It might be that the system will need to be drained of refrigerant if it's still functional, get the hoses off the compressor, and replace everything after you fix the fuel pump.

• Like 2

This might be a good opportunity to encourage the owner to switch to an R134 system where the AC compressor mounts on the other side of the block. In my situation, most of the emission plumbing was removed and the compressor now resides where the air pump was previously.

R134 Compressor.jpg

Edited by DatsunZGuy
  • Like 1

Consider leaving the mechanical pump in place and installing an electric pump.  That worked for me for about 25 years on my '71 with York AC compressor.  When I switched to a newer AC system, I stayed with the electric pump, removed the mechanical pump, and installed a block off plate in its place.

• Like 2