IGNORED

Small rust thru spots on drivers side floor 72z

swflaz

I have two spots on the drivers side floor pan that have rusted thru (I stuck a pencil thru each of them). Am wondering about the best fix approach since body work is definitely not my strong suit. These holes definitely do not require a full floor pan replacement IMHO. Will try to show in accompanying pics.     

20231001_164754.jpg

20231001_164810.jpg

I have found when the metal is as heavily pitted as that is, there will be more holes when you get rid of all the rust. I would get it really clean and then make some small metal patches that took care of most of the really thin areas

5 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

That sound deadener was applied over top of bare metal.

Thanks grannyknot, didn't realize that that was the case. Hate to lose the sound deadener but I suspect you are correct as to it being a source of current/future rust problems. Trying to look on the bright side, I'm not just losing sound deadener, I'm gaining another project!!!  Comment is much appreciated. Working on bumpers right now but will try and post what I find in a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Per suggestions from Patcon and grannynot I've pulled up some of the floor deadening material around the hole in the drivers side floor pan. Most of it came up readily with the help of a large flat blade screwdriver and a stiff bladed putty knife. There was no rust where the tar material was still firmly attached to the floor but in all areas where there was any separation there was some rust. I went over the area with a worn down wire wheel on my Dremel which cleaned it up pretty nicely. It looks like the main problem is still with the yellow painted patch where the pencil was inserted in the first photo. Attached is a progress photo. Lighting is not the best in that small space. Will continue until all is removed. Just wanted to post an update for anyone else looking at this situation themselves. More spaces left to uncover. To be continued.

20231004_132931.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

swflaz i highly recommend any one of the dry ice methods of removing tar based sound deadening.  you can google many videos on youtube.  Some use the alcohol method others just drop the ice straight on if its small enough pellets.  What happens is the dry ice quick flash freezes the tar and its so brittle it come up in sheets.  the ice sublimates (straight to gas) so its no mess really just a little wipe down.  Beats the hell out of scraping with a screw driver or any of the heat it up methods and all that sticky mess.

one of dozens if not hundreds of examples

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

An easy way to get rid of those holes..  Take a holesaw and.. as you can't center them with the center bit.. first make a hole in a flat piece of wood and then hold the wood over the hole in the floor of your z.. then dril a nice round hole out of the bad rust hole.. ad a rubber lid in the hole and your ready! 😉 

check the rusty hole for what diameter drill you need.  NO welder/welding needed.