IGNORED

Hatch weather seal that doesn’t suck?

kcpope

But it works fine just the same, I had that style of seal on the hatch of my 240z for years and never leaked.

Like grannyknot said, it’s not technically OEM style. But it works OK, looks clean, and doesn’t require glue. It’s very similar to the Kia seal that everyone’s been using, which is NLA, unless you find one at a junkyard. This one is cheap and readily available on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I must have gotten lucky because I recently bought the inner and outer seal from Z store and they both fit perfectly with just the 3m adhesive.  the outer seal was the single seal bulb that went all the way around rather than the separate top and two sides they offer like original.  I have no issues closing hatch and it lines up almost perfect.  It is a tad higher as you can see but no where near enough to not latch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I must have gotten lucky because I recently bought the inner and outer seal from Z store and they both fit perfectly with just the 3m adhesive.  the outer seal was the single seal bulb that went all the way around rather than the separate top and two sides they offer like original.  I have no issues closing hatch and it lines up almost perfect.  It is a tad higher as you can see but no where near enough to not latch.
image.thumb.jpeg.9f954aeed1b2a6032783ca029033f309.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.2c1dea486f13ec5b3669ab6db374dc27.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.d293dd7e21803eb7c907e530ffb6223e.jpeg

Nice, looks clean[emoji1360]

As is typical with my car, nothing ever seems to be plug and play.

Do you know if the seal you received from Z store was a Precision brand seal? I’m assuming it was, but just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kcpope said:

Do you know if the seal you received from Z store was a Precision brand seal? I’m assuming it was, but just curious.

I'm pretty sure it was but looking back at my records it was actually purchased late 21 not this year but I just got around to replacing it due to a back surgery.  Maybe they have changed the mold or something to make them slightly different?  This was the part number for outer

https://www.thezstore.com/product/5487/rear-deck-outer-weatherstrip-one-piece-top-sides-70-78-240z-260z-280z-coupe

and this was the inner

https://www.thezstore.com/product/5735/reproduction-rear-deck-inner-weatherstrip-70-78-240z-260z-280z-coupe

I bought this car in early 21 and the PO had fubar'd lots of stuff I'm just getting to.  To be honest I didn't note the hatch being off line a tad before I replaced this so maybe he also had a precision and somehow shimmed the hinges to accommodate.  When I replaced my seals I didn't take the hatch or hinges off since it was only me and my recent surgery wouldn't allow for that much weight.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Late to the game but nice thread.......

RichieG may I ask,
Is the MSA inner/outer seal effective?  Just checking my options...
I'm doing the outer (1-piece MSA) now but have not purchased the inner, thats next.

I did see the silvermine motors offers an outer seal that requires no glue, Has anybody used that Product????

Both the inner and the outer really held up well. I would have no problem recommending them. Some people mentioned they had fitment problems maybe I got lucky but it fit perfectly and normal weather stripping contact black cement was all I needed. Now I did go really slow and only did a section at a time mostly because I just didn't have the ability to remove the hatch and do it properly I had like 20 clamps per side I would do a side move on to the next side and go in four turns so it took me like 4 days and maybe that's why it held so well because of the amount of Vice and the length of time it took me to do it