IGNORED

Hatch weather seal that doesn’t suck?

kcpope

Bought the rear hatch inner seal for my 72 from MSA. Bought it there because their description says “after years of not carrying the hatch seal, we now do because this one is good blah blah” FYI, it’s made by precision. Nothing special.

And the hatch now sits like 3/4 inch proud above the body. Way too thick. And I’m having to force the hatch closed. They shouldn’t be stocking this item. Feel like I got ripped off.

Anyway, I think my only other option is Vintage Rubber. Anyone here use one yet, and how did it fit? Pics?

Thanks[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, it's not a great seal, if you keep the hatch closed and let the car sit out in the sun it will start to relax over time.  I used a Kia Sportage door seal on my the hatch for years and it worked well.

Yeah, let mine sit compressed for a good while. Still too high🫤

Any idea what years of Kia sportage?

• Like 1

I just went to the pick-n-pull and got some weather stripping off a 1999 LandRover discovery.  I pulled the back hatch and the two front door weather stripping and they fit really good.  The doors and hatch are a bit tight as I believe the rubber has to settle for a bit.  If you buy new they also indicate door need to be slammed shut as they rubber needs to be compressed.  They suggest to keep the door closed in a warm environment. Well now that I think about it these are used so maybe they won't compress more.  Well time will tell.

Left side the new and of course my 53 year old gasket on the right.  The best is the price......$1.50 each. 

IMG_4988.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up using some generic side bulb seal from Amazon. I tried several bulb seals but again, they were all too thick and cause my hatch to protrude way past the body line.

The seal I ended up using is actually too small in the lower hatch corners and doesn’t seal all the way. I’ll have to add some foam selectively to keep fumes out. See last pic.

I will say it looks very tidy though, and does offer a decent seal around 80% of the hatch.

Trim Seal with Side Bulb | PVC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMYS3W4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

61011a6e34396b20680385e1f081c118.jpg

02a08fcce60f05fd578b73aeb002d4f8.jpg

810604ab8a83a959ed930cad3319b28f.jpg

517fe58828e1b0b87f94e7e9397190d2.jpg

2 hours ago, kcpope said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up using some generic side bulb seal from Amazon. I tried several bulb seals but again, they were all too thick and cause my hatch to protrude way past the body line.

The seal I ended up using is actually too small in the lower hatch corners and doesn’t seal all the way. I’ll have to add some foam selectively to keep fumes out. See last pic.

I will say it looks very tidy though, and does offer a decent seal around 80% of the hatch.

What did you use for an adhesive?