IGNORED

1978 280Z - Won't restart when hot, all interior gauges, fan motor, backlighting not working

NocturnalEmber

Not eliminate, I guess you didn’t understand what I meant. Meaning diagnose another variable in the circuit. As you know every connection on these vintage survivors needs a good visual and measurement so you can move on to the next step. 

6 hours ago, SteveJ said:

The green fusible links are green fusible links. https://zcardepot.com/collections/electrical/products/fusible-link-wire-green-280z-1974-78?_pos=9&_sid=4a0072d4b&_ss=r

Now you might need different terminals, but those are available through a myriad of sources, including Vintage Connections.

That reminds me. I need to generate more content for YouTube. Wire crimping would be a good topic.

Different terminals? Would new fusible links not fit into the factory terminals? Or are you suggesting the connectors might be in too rough shape to re use? 

I'm guessing if it came down to replacing those two green fusible links I would just depin them from the connectors, right? With those is that typically done from the back of the connector or the connecting side?

Edited by NocturnalEmber

No worries, once you ohm it out you will know right away. These cars have a ton of connections and by the time you’re done you will have a good understanding. IIt takes time and patience. Record everything you check.

Just now, Yarb said:

No worries, once you ohm it out you will know right away. These cars have a ton of connections and by the time you’re done you will have a good understanding. IIt takes time and patience. Record everything you check.

I'm decently used to working on cars as a hobby, but this is my first Z. Diagnosing everything is definitely a long process but its worth it, and I'm learning a lot from the car I didn't know about to begin with.  I'll hopefully have some answers to report back tonight once I manage to make it out to the garage.

10 hours ago, SteveJ said:

The green fusible links are green fusible links. https://zcardepot.com/collections/electrical/products/fusible-link-wire-green-280z-1974-78?_pos=9&_sid=4a0072d4b&_ss=r

Now you might need different terminals, but those are available through a myriad of sources, including Vintage Connections.

That reminds me. I need to generate more content for YouTube. Wire crimping would be a good topic.

@SteveJ, I did pull the green fusible links out and tested for ohms/continuity. I think once the multimeter settled it was .3 ohms maybe at the maximum on each fusible link?  So I would think that would mean they are good. I don't know how one would replace them if they were bad, though, I don't see any way to de pin those from the connectors.

But at any rate, I will test the relay tomorrow when I am not dead to the known world and report back, I appreciate the help thus far from everyone as always!

Edited by NocturnalEmber

26 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I would say those links are good.

Did you ever do the tests I suggested earlier? They could go a long way toward figuring out your problems.

I hadn't had an opportunity to test the relay yet, work pulled me away more often than I would have liked and I was just dead tired afterwards, but I will definitely do them today and report back!

12 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Also, have you taken the time to download the 78 factory service manual? It's a free download on this site. There is a link in my signature.

I have indeed, it's been a pretty great resource so far!