IGNORED

Total internal reupholstery

Seppi72

Has anyone here ever done a reupholstery job on their S30?  In my restomod project I decided that I did not want a black interior, especially with that crisscross pattern material, and decided on light blue.

I bought plenty of sky blue marine vinyl fabric from www.fabric.com (apparently no longer in business - at least using that name or URL) and it's a simple matter to do the tranny tunnel, doglegs, etc. using the OEM fabric for templates.  I also got color-matched paint mixed for all the hard plastic pieces at a Columbus auto paint store (Ohio Auto Kolor).

The rear wheel well covers are another matter and I plan to farm that out to a Columbus auto upholstery shop (Tritex) as it (1) will have to take apart one of the OEM covers to get proper piece sizes and (2) has the skill and equipment to make the new ones.

• What I want to do myself are the door cards so I'm asking if anyone has ever done such a thing.

I haven't, but my question would be how you are going to replicate the factory stitching / door panel design. IMO, flat stretched vinyl without the design/detail element is going to look pretty tacky, especially considering the labor intensive nature of the job. Another consideration would be the state of the door card itself. Unless it's really pristine & all mount points have no water damage, that will be another detractor when it comes to assembling the vinyl to the card.

Do you have any experience sewing/ working with vinyl & patterns? It's no small undertaking.

• Agree 1

My OEM door card pressboard innards are in pristine condition and have absolutely no water damage at all.  All the holes for the spring-like "bayonet" clips are solid.

It isn't so much that I need to follow any pattern on the new vinyl as it is very lightly grained (see photo).  The only significant difference will be the lack of that indentation that marks a change in texture from the outer edges to the inner portion on the OEM panel (see photo).

My biggest issue is how to remove and preserve the chrome strip along the top of the panel.  It looks to be riveted from the back side (photo).  Making it even more interesting, the right-side panel rivets are different from the left-side panel rivets.

• Has anyone ever removed and reinstalled this piece?

20230510_160646[1].jpg

20230510_160916[1].jpg

20230510_161723[1].jpg

It's definitely up for consideration, Yarb, but I'd still like to know how to remove those chrome strips without ruining them.

I do have another set of door panels from a 280Z that I parted out years ago so I might experiment on those if no one can answer my query.

I think I might still have a pair off an old 12/70 parts car that are beyond repair in my shed. If I  can find them I will take one apart and report back later this week. 

Edited by CanTechZ

OK, in that case, if the chrome strip cannot be removed without its disfigurement or destruction, I might just buy two pieces of 3/16" x 3/16" x 36" 304 stainless bar stock from Grainger, cut them to length, radius two adjacent edges, polish them up and glue them in place.  I'd use half-round but I can't find any that small.  I might even be able to drill and tap the backside of those bars to accept jewelers screws coming through the metal plate.

Sure, SS isn't chrome but because I'm going "custom" that won't make a difference.

• Like 1