IGNORED

75 280Z Wiper Motor Conversion W/ Variable Intermittent Wipe

HusseinHolland

8 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I think if you removed the relay, you only lose the intermittent function, and Park may be affected. I haven't tested to confirm. While it shows 12VDC+ going through the relay, that diagram lies!

OK - I'll pay attention to that - it appears that B & E pass through the relay in the diagram, so I'll have to pay attention to the actual connections at the relay. What I have to do is overlay the Nissan diagram with either the Volvo or Fiat ones I made to figure out which connections correlate, since they all use different markings on the column switch & relay terminals 

IMG-20210112-201726.jpg

The ground doesn't pass through the relay either. That's another lie by that diagram. Over the years we have noticed several errors in various Z wiring diagrams. @Matthew Abate found many in the 73 diagram when he went to rebuild his harnesses. By the way, Matthew, I'd LOVE to see your car when it's done. Too bad you live in the land of ice & snow.

You may want to look for threads on parking the Honda wiper motor because you may need that with the VAG relay.

Got the bracket & motor back in the cowl, and rewired for the Honda Motor. I found that one hand can be fit behind the bracket from the right side to get the linkage arm nut back on the wiper motor. I decided to cut off the Datsun connector as those small pins just seem iffy for the load of the wiper motor, given their antiquity. I added lengths of same color wire to extend the stock harness through the cowl, used a Volvo firewall grommet, and then added the Honda (Yazaki 58XS) connector and female pins.

PXL_20230505_213148674.jpg

PXL_20230506_180513143.jpg

PXL_20230506_180618783.jpg

BLK, BLU-R, Y,Y-BLK, BLU-Y. Y-G is unused. 

PXL_20230506_173433996.jpg

Solder joints are a bad idea - so I bought a large number of crimp splices some time back. Color-keyed wiring came from my old 80's X1/9 parts car. I removed the entire dash harness before junking it.

PXL_20230506_185203393.jpg

double shrink wrapped

PXL_20230506_190205180.jpg

PXL_20230506_191315474.jpg

I noticed that there is extra weather-strip glue under the seal - I'll have to get that off

PXL_20230506_204343038.jpg

I attached the wires without the harness first, to just check the mapping from Datsun to Honda indicated in the earlier post

PXL_20230506_193006926.jpg

The wipers worked as they should - interval, low and high, parks as it should, so I put the wires into the connector

PXL_20230506_193504284.jpg

Moved harness routing over to the left & clipped it to the cowl lip

PXL_20230506_193656933.jpg

Put some butyl over the harness feed throughs, since I don't have the plastic sheath for the whole affair 

PXL_20230506_194429277.jpg

arms & new 18" blades installed

PXL_20230506_200036638.jpg

checked the washer nozzle adjustment 

PXL_20230506_195924944.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I was able to confirm yesterday that the intermittent relay does handle the park function for the wipers.

Thanks Steve

The amplifier relay or the interval relay?

#9 or #1 in the relay panel schematic?

spacer.png

Edited by HusseinHolland
add reference

1 hour ago, HusseinHolland said:

I'm confused as the diagrams indicate two components with different pin outs for the intermittent amplifier and interval or intermittent relay in the diagrams I posted above.

Could you put the two diagrams into a new reply? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

39 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

image.png

They change the names but #9, Intermittent wiper relay, and #1, Interval wiper amplifier, are one and the same.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Thanks for that, Steve. Dang. Why the heck would they label the same item as two components and number them differently? Just to fk with ppl???