IGNORED

75 280Z Wiper Motor Conversion W/ Variable Intermittent Wipe

HusseinHolland

Now that I have the cowl prepped, and the Datsun linkage repaired & lubed, I'm doing the Honda wiper motor conversion documented HERE

Reference thread regarding reverse polarity park    75-specific wiring post There's also another link somewhere for the AtlanticZ 'how to fit" PDF

So, the big Q for me is how this all ties together. The FSM BE overview & wiring (page BE-62 & BE-68) for 75 shows the interval relay. The intermittent amplifier is shown on overview BE-6 and wiring BE-68. It is not shown on the flow diagrams on BE-66-67, unless I'm missing something.

It's unclear to me, even after reading the function overview on BE-60, what exactly it's for besides the reverse park business. Maybe that's all it is. 

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I want to add the VAG "99" interval relay to this 🤪 - so my brain is exploding right now trying to overlay all the wiring permutations. I think I'll start from the basis of the 75- specific diagram, since they have figured out basic functionality & go from there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by HusseinHolland

@SteveJ Not sure you want to tackle this one…Unless there’s another thread out there, Pretty sure it was just straight hard wiring the two harnesses with a color combination between 2 manufactures if I recall.

I did the Honda upgrade on my 240z and it is faster than OEM and also parks, but it is STILL TOO SLOW for a mid to heavy rain.

I am still looking for something faster.....Have not found anything yet.

So in summary, the upgrade (Honda) was worth it, BUT still not adequate.

5 minutes ago, 240z70 said:

I did the Honda upgrade on my 240z and it is faster than OEM and also parks, but it is STILL TOO SLOW for a mid to heavy rain.

I am still looking for something faster.....Have not found anything yet.

So in summary, the upgrade (Honda) was worth it, BUT still not adequate.

Did you lubricate the wiper linkage? I did that on my 260Z a long time ago, and I found the performance adequate for a heavy rain when I was driving up to ZCON in 2020.

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Look at this thread: 

Keep the Nissan relay. I think I have it decoded on how to use a later Nissan relay, but I haven't purchased the relay to verify, yet.

I thought I saw that one - but I missed the post  that gave wiring cross ref for the motor (ZcarDepot listed one is the same as what I bought) 

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 8.35.26 PM.png

I don't want the stock Nissan relay. The VAG 99 is 'infinitely" variable delay. Once you've used it, its difficult to use a stock interval setup typical of older cars.

What's odd to me is all the stuff attached to the Datsun motor - I don't see those components in the diagram, unless that is the interval relay, but that's non-sensical since the manuals show it in the relay panel

Made a template for the wiper motor mount & drilled & cut the Datsun mount bracket to fit. I offset it so the park position is a close match to the original 

PXL_20230505_194915282.jpg

PXL_20230505_200544803.jpg

testing placement again - clears the cowl OK - no contact here

PXL_20230505_200631353.jpg

bracket etched & primed

PXL_20230505_214005238.jpg

hardware all prepped as well

PXL_20230505_214003248.jpg

I put the linkages back in with the base seals and new caps, but I'm assuming I'll have to remove it & attach to the bracket & motor first - I was not able to separate the original in -situ. Any comments on that aspect?

PXL_20230505_204609086.jpg

PXL_20230505_204611706.jpg

In a nutshell, the switch grounds leads from the relay. I'm not sure what diagram you're looking at, so it's difficult to provide clarification. Considering the stock switch only has 4 detents (Off, intermittent, low, high), I'm not sure how you're going to modify the switch to get the variable intermittent function from the VAG relay.

41 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

In a nutshell, the switch grounds leads from the relay. I'm not sure what diagram you're looking at, so it's difficult to provide clarification. Considering the stock switch only has 4 detents (Off, intermittent, low, high), I'm not sure how you're going to modify the switch to get the variable intermittent function from the VAG relay.

Thanks for the input, Steve. The diagram is pages 66-68 in the BE section (75 FSM)

interval sequence. Interval relay shown in center, no indication of the extra parts on the wiper motor

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 10.24.25 PM.png

There is no need to m oddity the switch. All one needs is to set the switch to interval, turn it off, turn it back on after desired number of seconds and the relay holds that time lapse. I just have to figure out how to mesh the Bosch style relay connections with the Nissan panel, removing the Nissan relay

This may or may not help you. I added the wire colors to the diagram.

image.png

In OFF, YB is connected to LY from terminal 3. LY from terminal 3 is always connected to the M terminal on the Wiper Relay as part of the Park circuit.

In INT, YG is grounded, and YB is connected to LY from terminal 3 (to Park after the wipe).

In LOW, YG is grounded, and YB is grounded.

In HIGH, YG is grounded, and LY for the H connection on the wiper motor is grounded.

@SteveJ - thank you for your time - that does save me some back & forth 🙂

So, just to clarify, the 'relay' on the motor is considered an integral part of the motor as far as the diagrams go, they serve as the switching component (illustrated in the diagram above) built into most later wiper motors.

crop.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland

I think if you removed the relay, you only lose the intermittent function, and Park may be affected. I haven't tested to confirm. While it shows 12VDC+ going through the relay, that diagram lies!