Restoring interior vents - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Restoring interior vents

Featured Replies

I have a 1976 280z.  I am putting in a new dash and would like to restore the eyeball vents, mainly by stripping/painting the flaked off fake chrome coating.  I can remove the round center section but can't figure out how to remove the flaps that open or close the vent.   I see how they attach to the round part but without removing the knob I don't know how to get it out   Is the knob non removable?  

 

Are there aftermarket replacements?

 

20230126_134715.jpg

 

20230126_134724.jpg

 

20230126_134738.jpg

6 hours ago, fusion said:

the flaked off fake chrome coating. 

Nothing fake about that chrome.. it's real chrome!!  (it's damped (Vapor deposited?) on the plastic..)

btw.. i don't know if the knob is removable, take some good lighting and a lot of patience, maybe you see how it's constructed.. and see a way out.

There are aftermarket replacements for the 240z eyeballs vents, but not the 280z ones. Going to have to find a better set of used ones or someplace that does plastic chroming. 

  • Author

Thanks guys.  But does anyone know how to remove the flaps?

  • Author
Just now, fusion said:

Thanks guys.  But does anyone know how to remove the flaps?

Also do the 240z versions fit into the 280z dash?  I am not hooking it up to any vents, just need it to physically fit

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Here are the dimensions of the 280z piece, if anyone knows or could measure the 240z version, that would be sweet.

 

20230127_113900.jpg

 

20230127_113838.jpg

It's the smallest ring that has some damage.. i would paint that one black and polish the rest.. you be surprised how nice they are when polished.

All that green stuff is removed easely.. (it's the copper in there that makes them greenish..)

Take a small drillbit in your small powerdrill and put some cotton around it and polish away..

Mine were pretty green and with some polish came back to life pretty nice. You could clean them as best as possible and then try to touch them up with a chrome pen. 

  • 3 years later...

I realize this is long past but it is the closest topic I could find to my green dash (eyeball) vent issue. I am trying to find information on cleaning the green "Corrosion?" without physically polishing because I cannot get into the smaller spaces. I just happened to notice that this thread never has its ultimate question answered, "if anyone knows or could measure the 240z version, that would be sweet."

Well, if someone else comes by the 240z vent measurements are roughly 78mmx30mm

1971 240z dash vent measurement_face.jpg

1971 240z dash vent measurement_profile.jpg

Below is the 240z vent with green deposits.

240z dash vent with green deposits.jpg

Edited by DrFeelGood

7 minutes ago, Patcon said:

They are available...

Maybe some vinegar and then neutralize with baking soda and water??

Thanks. That is not a bad idea. I was thinking of maybe CLR but I read that it is not suitable for chromium oxide, (assuming that is what is deposited). I will try vinegar or a baking soda paste as I loathe the odor of vinegar. Trying to avoid dropping $70+ on vents as there are many other things vying for an ever decreasing pot of money.

Cheers

The green comes from the copper that is damped up on the plastic to chrome the part. So it's probably poison.. the copper green..
Maybe google how to remove copper green..

But as the copper shows through the chrome, it will not get very nice after clean-up i think, better to look for better ones that had a dryer life.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.