IGNORED

Help! What are these engine sensors?

ea6driver

I've owned a 78Z for over 40 years... I'm not nearly as familiar with the ZX. I'm going through a box of Z/ZX engine sensors and ran across several that are not associated with my Z...I was hoping some of you from the collective ZX knowledge base could help me identify these parts..The three #5 sensors are similar, but each has subtle differences from the other two. Likewise, the two #2 sensors also have subtle differences from each other. I'd like to positively ID them so I can offer them for sale. Thanks!

EBCC9ED7-4A5A-423F-BDEE-66C57469937D.heic E3A92BE6-4000-47B9-AAE0-E9B4092294BC.heic 2217D965-5CFA-457C-BFBA-22E09EA1B01D.heic 293B8990-3C7D-4A58-A6B9-41A7E03498DA.heic 60D7C010-0216-4625-B080-24DAE9488D22.heic 7D96033D-1F13-4578-BB48-1D0067856565.heic C9C5DA21-8884-42BF-80F2-5667FEA8150C.heic

You posted files to be downloaded.  You might try and post pictures that appear on the post as actual pictures instead of downloadable files.  Some folks will be hesitant to download unknown files.  Not sure how that happened, but whenever I want to upload pictures to a post I select "choose files" which appears to the right of a paper clip icon at the bottom of the block of text when making a new post.   Then find the pictures wherever they are stored on your computer. 

I'm not accusing you of malicious intent, just want you to be able to sort out your problem.  

42 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

You posted files to be downloaded.  You might try and post pictures that appear on the post as actual pictures instead of downloadable files.  Some folks will be hesitant to download unknown files.  Not sure how that happened, but whenever I want to upload pictures to a post I select "choose files" which appears to the right of a paper clip icon at the bottom of the block of text when making a new post.   Then find the pictures wherever they are stored on your computer. 

I'm not accusing you of malicious intent, just want you to be able to sort out your problem.  

I'm guessing those are pictures from an iPhone. Apple has to do things "better" even it if is incompatible with most everybody else's platform. Sometimes it pushes the state of the art forward, and sometimes it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Like 2

I am guessing Bob S is the Craigslist poster from Whidbey Is and has these two pic's of sensors. I am not sure if these are the same ones he is questioning about.

I too am not downloading unknown files. These are copied from the CL ad. 

https://skagit.craigslist.org/pts/d/oak-harbor-datsun-280z-280zx-coolant/7581226710.html

https://skagit.craigslist.org/search/sss?userpostingid=7581226710#search=1~gallery~0~0

00g0g_9XfyJfjaGzk_1320MM_300x300.jpg

00Z0Z_8lCaOBgMogSz_1320MM_300x300.jpg

Terrapin,

I am the same poster as in those CL posts....However, the photos you posted here are not the same ones I have questions about. All the sensors in the photos you reposted above from CL are used in the 78Z, except for the two middle ones in the top photo. My research indicates those two are cylinder head temp sensors used in the ZX (but not in the Z).

I'll try to repost my pics so that they don't display as files to be downloaded. And, yes, they were in fact photos taken with an iPhone.

11 hours ago, ea6driver said:

Terrapin,

I am the same poster as in those CL posts....However, the photos you posted here are not the same ones I have questions about. All the sensors in the photos you reposted above from CL are used in the 78Z, except for the two middle ones in the top photo. My research indicates those two are cylinder head temp sensors used in the ZX (but not in the Z).

I was only guessing as those pic's had just recently been posting. Perhaps having your CL ad link on here will drum up some more business for you. Looks like you have quite the hoard. 

GLWS

2 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I was only guessing as those pic's had just recently been posting. Perhaps having your CL ad link on here will drum up some more business for you. Looks like you have quite the hoard. 

GLWS

Thanks for the tip...I guess you could call it a hoard...but I'm trying my best to thin it out.  I collected a lot of Z parts over the years from guys who were sending their Z's to the scrapyard...no harm in having spares I figured...but after those parts just sat in boxes in my garage for decades I finally came to the realization that I would prolly never use them...so it's time to find new life for them...the sensors cleaned up nicely with a little wire wheel work!

IMG_8520.jpeg

• Like 1

#1 is the switch that turns of the "Hair Dryer" aka injector blower. It is mounted in the thermostat housing

#3 is the hi engine coolant temp switch. It disconnects the power to the distributor and shuts down the engine due to overheating. It is mounted in the heating plate under the Aux AIr Regulator

#5 are coolant temp sensors but not for any Z car. The oval connector was not used until much later

#4 is an O2 sensor

#2 are thermo-vac valves. Dont know the difference between them. There may be ID numbers that might give a clue. They were used to limit vacuum to the distributor until the engine was warmed up and also to the EGR on some cars.

Edited by kickstand80
  • Like 1