IGNORED

ZX rear caliper

To put this to bed, I was able to use both left and right rear brake calipers from my parts car.  I re-sealed them with the kits from Rockauto and they are doing just fine. Forgot to take pictures. 

That parts cars has payed off in dividends for sure.  I've been diverting funds into the engine swap on my Civic so the free(or $20 in seals)repairs on the Z are most welcome.

Edited by Reptoid Overlords
  • Like 2

Good stuff.  The stock D16 is a great reliable engine, but just lacks the power I believe the car deserves.  I got a good deal on a Japanese market B20B with higher compression(non- VTEC).  Somewhere around $600 for all the parts to convert it plus timing belt water pump etc.  Not trying to divert too far away from Z car subject matter, but what engine did you put in yours?

e183d6772c1b2c9d59e514fb481ff814.jpg

• Like 1

Well that's my DD and not supposed to be the project, so I put as little time and effort into it as I can. LOL! So... The answer to the question about what engine did I put back in is "The same one that came out." I only pulled it because it needed work done on multiple sides of the engine and at that point I thought it was just simpler to pull the whole thing and do everything with the engine out.

Belt side needed new timing belt. Bottom side needed oil pan gasket. Rear side needed new engine mount (taught kid how to drive stick). Transmission side needed new main seal and clutch, etc. So since I needed to work on left, right, rear, and bottom, I just pulled the whole thing out to do the work.

I did do one "bonus" item... I pulled the subframe and put in an Integra steering gear for a faster steering ratio. But that car is not the project.   :beer:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well that's my DD and not supposed to be the project, so I put as little time and effort into it as I can. LOL! So... The answer to the question about what engine did I put back in is "The same one that came out." I only pulled it because it needed work done on multiple sides of the engine and at that point I thought it was just simpler to pull the whole thing and do everything with the engine out.

Belt side needed new timing belt. Bottom side needed oil pan gasket. Rear side needed new engine mount (taught kid how to drive stick). Transmission side needed new main seal and clutch, etc. So since I needed to work on left, right, rear, and bottom, I just pulled the whole thing out to do the work.

I did do one "bonus" item... I pulled the subframe and put in an Integra steering gear for a faster steering ratio. But that car is not the project.   :beer:

Haha!!  How far from the original subject do we want to stray?   LOL   With apologies to the OP.......

I've got a 6th gen Civic (96-00). I always hated the steering ratio. Always felt like I needed to readjust my hands in the middle of a turn because I needed more wheel rotation. Got fed up one day and started experimenting...

The pinion gear on the end of the power steering spool valve has eight teeth. The similar pinion gear from a third gen Integra (93-97) has NINE teeth (one more than the Civic). Problem is the spool valve bodies are different so you can't just toss the whole Integra body onto the Civic steering rack. However after poking around with both of them in my laboratory, I determined that the GUTS are interchangable.

So it's a "simple matter" of pressing both valve assemblies apart and reassembling the Civic valve body using the Integra spool valve. Then reattach the modified spool valve onto the original steering rack and put in back in the car.

"A child could do it."

Take the valve off the rack:
P1040634.JPG

Pressing a spool valve apart on the hydraulic press:
P1040638.JPG 

Spool valves. Integra on top. Civic on bottom. Note that the Integra has a tighter pitch on the gear:
P1040640.JPG

Pinion gears. Civic on left. Teg on right:
P1040647.JPG

How did it turn out? Fantastic.
Would I do it again?  If I had the sub-frame out - Maybe.   If I wasn't going in for something else? - Absolutely not.  LOL

• Like 4

Excellent!   :beer:

So I've got an EK hatch (I know it's not really an EK, but all the cool kids call them EK's). It's my daily and it's never intended to be the project. It looks like asss with failed paint and it's a slow pig, but I'm in it for the gas mileage, not for the performance.

Only thing that annoys me is my prior daily was a First Gen Teg, and it was fun to drive. Not super-performance, but way better than my current Civic. And the thing is.... It got about one MPG MORE than my EK. 

Enjoy, and try to remember where the project time and money should go!!  Haha!

• Like 2