IGNORED

Advice on a white Datsun 240Z from 12-1971

Makada

Based on the photos it looks like a fantastic car. While it is hard to predict what you would find under the undercoating, the photos make me think the floors and frame rails would be solid.... with surface rust....maybe some more serious spots. I would be surprised if it requires new floors or rails. 

I do think the undercarriage needs immediate attention. I am pretty sure the car has factory undercoating...which was unfortunately applied over bare metal. I would remove the undercoating, address any rust spots, epoxy prime and paint.  As flakey as the undercoating appears to be, if you drive it and allow it to get wet, moisture will get trapped under the undercoating and serious rust will develop. 

I happen to be currently removing the factory undercoating on my 72 240z. My undercoating is / was in great visual condition. As I remove the undercoating, i am finding bare metal with light amounts of surface rust.....which comes off easily with a combination of wire wheel work and phosohoric acid treatment. Nissan clearly expected these cars to last 5 years or so and then get crushed.

There are things one could nit pick but overall, without seeing it in person, looks like a nice car. If you can see it / drive it in person, you can find out way more about the car. Look for prior wreck damage / evidence. Look for rust (under master cylinder, under battery, floors from interior, dog legs, hatch deck, etc. How does it do driving straight? Does it stop straight? Does steering wheel shake under any conditions? Does anything come out of exhaust...blue, black, white? Is there an exhaust leak? If seller will let you, how does the car do if you drive it and shift first to second and second to third at 6k rpms? Does transmission shift smoothly and quietly? Does it run hot? Does clutch slip? How do engine oil and coolant look? How well does it start and warm up cold? Do all gauges work? Get it on a lift. Any leaks? How do the bushings look? New or original? Rubber or poly? How do the black suspension pieces look: coat of surface rust most likely if never refinished? How thick is the paint and how does it look in person? Tire age and condition? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jonathanrussell said:

Based on the photos it looks like a fantastic car. While it is hard to predict what you would find under the undercoating, the photos make me think the floors and frame rails would be solid.... with surface rust....maybe some more serious spots. I would be surprised if it requires new floors or rails. 

I do think the undercarriage needs immediate attention. I am pretty sure the car has factory undercoating...which was unfortunately applied over bare metal. I would remove the undercoating, address any rust spots, epoxy prime and paint.  As flakey as the undercoating appears to be, if you drive it and allow it to get wet, moisture will get trapped under the undercoating and serious rust will develop. 

I happen to be currently removing the factory undercoating on my 72 240z. My undercoating is / was in great visual condition. As I remove the undercoating, i am finding bare metal with light amounts of surface rust.....which comes off easily with a combination of wire wheel work and phosohoric acid treatment. Nissan clearly expected these cars to last 5 years or so and then get crushed.

There should be paint beneath the undercoating, not bare metal. Cars didn’t leave the factory bare. If there’s no paint someone removed it.

• Like 1

@bluez....Not true in my experience with my two 240zs. One is a 24k mile car with original paint.

To be clear...both of my cars have / had bare metal with some sort of galvanized / sacrificial treatment, then undercoating, then a light dusting coat of paint...same color as exterior....all done in factory. No primer. 

Edited by jonathanrussell

Maybe paint wore off? Have looked at a lot of early Z’s and never seen bare metal floors, rails, wheel wells, etc. Most had undercoating sprayed on top of paint when imported.
Paint & Undercoating on early Z’s has been previously discussed on this forum.

I have read the forum messages on the undercoating topic and opinions / observations seem to vary. Some are consistent with what you wrote but others are consistent with what I have observed. Here is an entry posted by Mr Camouflage in 2006 that matches what I have observed.

"The underbody of the Z was coated from the factory with a black tar type stuff, straight on the bare metal, no undercoat underneath it, This thick tar rippled look coating (If you dont call it undercoating, i dont know what you would call it) was then oversprayed with the color paint. not painted as such. I doubt you would find paint over the top of the tar coating in places like the transmission tunnel above the gearbox.

My car is a 72, and has this undercoating. It washes off back to bare metal with a rag a bit of petrol."

Ya' know, I hate to argue with you, jonathanrussell, but the cars did not leave the factory with undercoating.  And any undercoating was not applied to bare metal.  The cars had a complete painted finish.  Granted, the undersides had a thicker textured paint finish but not undercoating.  And not the finish on this example.  

23 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Ya' know, I hate to argue with you, jonathanrussell, but the cars did not leave the factory with undercoating.  And any undercoating was not applied to bare metal.  The cars had a complete painted finish.  Granted, the undersides had a thicker textured paint finish but not undercoating.  And not the finish on this example.  

My 72 had a wrinkled undercoat, that was applied without the gas tank installed and I am pretty sure it was bare metal under it. We sandblasted it all off. I would doubt any dealer would have gone through the trouble to remove stuff to apply an undercoat. I think the answer is that undercoating may have varied from year to year as the cars rusted way, or our definitons of undercoating vary 🙂

Edited by emccallum
  • Like 1