IGNORED

Ignition Systems Analysls

Captain Obvious

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

when the red input is negative, the output charges the coil.

I wonder if Nissan was changing the shape of the curve to get more charge time with the ZX reluctor setup.  Also still wondering about the ZX turbo ignitor swap with the GM HEI module.  The 5 volt reference never goes negative.

Anyway, neat stuff.  Different from the usual.

Here's your other post with the ZX wave form.  Post #261.

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I wonder if Nissan was changing the shape of the curve to get more charge time with the ZX reluctor setup.  Also still wondering about the ZX turbo ignitor swap with the GM HEI module.  The 5 volt reference never goes negative.

I don't think it was for more charging time. I think it was for a sharper steeper less scattery firing time. Based on the shape of the ZX reluctor, it looks to me like they were trying to reduce the amplitude of the negative pulse before a super-er steeper rising edge. Better for noise rejection and repeatability?

And I'm sorry for the sporadic updates. I'm working on this little bit at a time as I get the chance. But here's a preview... The E12-80 is essentially the same as the previous versions, but in a different form factor. Electrically very similar, but different shape.

But the E12-92 is not. It's different.

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I don't think it was for more charging time. I think it was for a sharper steeper less scattery firing time.

But how do you know?  Maybe it was for both.  Or either.  Or an unintended benefit.