IGNORED

Door lock replacement 77 280z

MH77280Z

I have not pulled the door panels out to see what is wrong but my door locks really are bad and the key barely move the lock up etc. even the key is bend. These original keys are also kind of not as hard.

Has anyone replaced the 2 door locks? is it easy and any recommendation what locks to get?

The problem with the lock is likely the soft pot metal cam on the back of the lock is worn and no longer turns the lever attached to it in a big enough arc.

The solution is to remove the lock, precisely drill a small hole in the cam, mount the lever and put a short length of coat hanger or piano wire thru the hole, bend it around the lever.  This restores the full motion of the lever when you turn the key.   Not too difficult, search on...  lock repair  to find some threads with the details.  Have done this a number of times.

The other option is new locks from ZcarDepot.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/interior/products/door-lock-cylinder-set-with-keys-77-78-280z?_pos=4&_sid=0d683f898&_ss=r

Edited by S30Driver
add link
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks

2 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

The problem with the lock is likely the soft pot metal cam on the back of the lock is worn and no longer turns the lever attached to it in a big enough arc.

The solution is to remove the lock, precisely drill a small hole in the cam, mount the lever and put a short length of coat hanger or piano wire thru the hole, bend it around the lever.  This restores the full motion of the lever when you turn the key.   Not too difficult, search on...  lock repair  to find some threads with the details.  Have done this a number of times.

The other option is new locks from ZcarDepot.

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I'm still climbing through the hatch to unlock the driver's door lock on my '77. LOL

240 has no operational locks. It's an occasional driver but never a parker. :ph34r:

Last time I locked my doors my ignition was in ON!!! Luckily I had found a spare few days back tucked in a small bag and tied to the inside of the front fender by the previous owner which saved me from some pain.

Also important to note that the 77 and 78 locks are different than all the other previous years because the linkage actuator arms are different shape.

Depending on the design of the lock cylinder, you might be able to move your original arms over to new locks, but they would need to have the same shape hole where they fit onto the back of the cylinder.