IGNORED

Space saver tire

MH77280Z

51 minutes ago, MH77280Z said:

One more thing, what about a portable cigarette lighter car tire inflator? anyone tried that with the Z? will the lighter circuit provide the level of AMPs or will blow off the fuse if connected?

Here's a way not to worry about that fuse: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC017-Adapter-Socket-Battery/dp/B00G8WLX78/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224608896506?hash=item344bbbc5fa:g:J58AAOSwGt1hQCTw

I am just gonna get this Audi inflator and the battery connector you mentioned. Keep the original SST since I am a stock freak and forget about everything 😁

Edited by MH77280Z

47 minutes ago, MH77280Z said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224608896506?hash=item344bbbc5fa:g:J58AAOSwGt1hQCTw

I am just gonna get this Audi inflator and the battery connector you mentioned. Keep the original SST since I am a stock freak and forget about everything 😁

The problem with the original folded space saver tires is they have been folded for over 40 years. When you try to inflate them the bead will refuse to fully seat, then whatever air you put in them just leaks out, very quickly.

I tried inflating one that was in a 78 280Z I have recently, and that is how it went. The tire even folded back up as the air leaked out.

21 minutes ago, Racer X said:

The problem with the original folded space saver tires is they have been folded for over 40 years. When you try to inflate them the bead will refuse to fully seat, then whatever air you put in them just leaks out, very quickly.

I tried inflating one that was in a 78 280Z I have recently, and that is how it went. The tire even folded back up as the air leaked out.

Inflated the original and it is not bad looking at all. I mean look inflated pretty evenly with a car inflator and inflated to 25psi in about less than 5 min. Seems to be holding air. I plan to let it sit for few hours.

10 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

May be this has been answered in CO post. T115/70/14 wont fit the stock rims which the SST is on?

I'm not sure I would want to stretch a 115 wide tire out onto a five inch wide rim. My thoughts on the matter while I was in the thick of it:

"I didn't move the space saver tire over to the 280 original spare wheel because I was worried that the 280 spare wheel was too wide. The space saver tire was originally on a four inch wide rim and the original 280 spare wheel is five inches wide. I wasn't comfortable stretching that narrow tire out to a five inch wide rim.

I think you could use a 4.5 inch wide rim, but since I was in there messing around anyway, I took the opportunity to make it as narrow as possible"

• Like 1