IGNORED

Chrome plater recommendations

inline6

It seems like from looking online, I see a lot of hit and miss with chrome plating.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that does high quality work?  I'm looking to get the following re-plated:

1971 Datsun 240:

• front and rear bumpers and bolts that secure the bumper ends to the center section
  • gas door latch/"lock"
  • ash tray bits (like the grill thing you put cigarettes out on)
  • exterior door handles

The bumpers have light taps (high and low spots) and will need copper filling or whatever to get them straight, but they have very little rust since they are from an Arizona car that then sat in a garage for 28 years.

Hi,  I would buy new exterior handles because they are made of zamac.. a impossible kind of mix of metall (aluminum,sink,copper..) and they rust in bubbles coming from the inside so if your going to chrome them it's always going to rust again from the airbubbles inside the handle..

(btw, the chrome part of the euro blinkers on the front bumper are made of the same terrible stuff.. 🙄)

A good verchrome firm is expensive.. i got one overhere but a good frontbumper, and i must say it was perfect.. costs a 1000 euro's and this was some years ago..

They use first copper than nickel and then a layer of chrome. It's perfect!   

My chrome firm is here in the Netherlands, i think you should be able to find one in your state..   In Poland are much cheaper chromers but you need to have a good relation.. (They don't have strict environmental rules there, they make a mess of it, but the chromework is good..)

Ogden Chrome in Utah USA. Be very specific in your instructions with chrome shops. Another shop I used destroyed a set of Porsche door handles by chroming everything. Even the parts that needed to stay dimensionally the same as they were going in. 

They are local so I've used Ogden Chrome and had great results. I had a damaged rear fender corner and bought a new one. The chrome didn't match so I had all bumper parts front and rear re-chromed. My only caveat is that it was 1991.

One funny thing is the folks in SLC swear by Ogden Chrome and those in Ogden swear by Salt Lake Chrome.

• 1 year later...

It's time to ship off my chrome parts to someone - it is time to make a decision.  So, I am revisiting this topic and wondering if anyone else has received re-plated bumpers from a place other than those mentioned that they would highly recommend?  

My consideration list currently includes:
https://www.tricityplating.com   TN
https://www.redspartsattic.com  TX
https://speedsportchrome.com  TX
https://www.ogdenchrome.com  UT

Reds Parts Attic is a place I found looking on my own online.  I got a nice email from the owner of redspartsattic back in July of 2022 - thought I would share:

Thank you for contacting us for our chrome plating services. I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business. Our crew has well over 100 years combined experience. I know they will do a great job for you!

Your parts will be plated using Copper, Nickel and Chrome. (TRIPLE CHROME PLATING) We go through multiple steps and procedures to achieve a mirror, chrome finish that will last. Not all chrome shops are the same, or complete the work the same way. We will treat your parts as if they were our own and not cut any corners.

On our website you can view samples of our work under photo and video gallery. Please take a moment to read our previous customer testimonials. We take pride in customer service and chrome quality. We stand behind every order we do!

Chrome Estimate:              
Bumpers with 2 guards - $1000 each        

Pricing will vary depending on your parts starting condition. Price includes minor straightening and dent repairs. We are currently running a 6 – 8 week turnaround time. Texas residence will be charged sales taxes.

Price does not include shipping costs. I can provide you with a quote based on your zip code. We use FedEx and receive a discounted rate. I can provide you with a pre-paid shipping label. Please ask and I can help with instructions.

You may package and ship parts using your own method. Please securely package and include all your contact information inside the box. Please email me your tracking information and I will personally keep a look out for your parts. Once parts are received I will contact you to discuss your order.

Please let me know if any questions. I’m your main point of contact from start to finish. Customer service and communication are very important to me. I check and respond to my messages daily. Thank you for the opportunity to earn your business.

Best regards,

Joe DelVecchio Owner
Phone: 713-299-1555 Call any time
Email: joe@redspartsattic.com
Testimonials: Customer Reviews
Photos: Photo Gallery

• Like 2