IGNORED

15" Tire Recommendations for 2022

Marty Rogan

Hey Guys,

I am way over-due for new tires on my '70 240z. I am looking for some great performing summer tires.  I don't track or autocross the car anymore, just spirited driving on dry days only.   Finding performance tires in 15" is getting to be a challenge.  What are you guys using now, and what sizes?

My current tires are Yokos, 205/60/15 on Panasports.  That size does not seem readily available in a performance tire anymore.  

I look forward to seeing what you have and/or your opinions.

Thanks,

Marty

I run the Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 14" on my 240Z.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt615k-tire

There is also the Azenis RT660. https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt660-tire

Both are available as 205/50R15, so they are slightly smaller than your current tires. From doing a search on Tire Rack, I would say that going with a slightly smaller tire is your best option.

9 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I have an '82 ZX Turbo with the 15" stock wheels.  I'm looking at BFG TAs for my next set.  

They're available in 205/60/15.

While the Radial TAs are available in that size, they really aren't performance tires.

I'm currently running Bridgestone Ecopia's, 205/60/15 and they're okay. My next tires I'll be going back to BFG Radial T/A's in that size. I found them easier to turn the steering wheel at low speed, run more quiet and definitely easier to balance than the Michelins I had before them. Never did get the Michelins to balance very well. The T/A's may not be "performance", but they handled my "spirited" driving just fine. I did have them mounted black walls out, the raised white letters look great on a '70 Chevelle SS, but that's not for me on the Datsun.

7 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I run the Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 14" on my 240Z.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt615k-tire

There is also the Azenis RT660. https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt660-tire

Both are available as 205/50R15, so they are slightly smaller than your current tires. From doing a search on Tire Rack, I would say that going with a slightly smaller tire is your best option.

Blue Z 3 qtr frt150x150.jpg

I have the European springs on the car, with higher spring rates, which tends to lift the car up a bit.   I am a little concerned that a 60 series tire might leave too much of a gap between the tire and the fender.  The Falkens do look like nice tires though.

I have 195/60 R14 in the Falkens. That would be close to the same size as the 205/50 R15.

My car is on the left. It has stock springs and very old struts.

20220605_075438.jpg

Here is more of a side view.

20220326_103558.jpg

Last photo

20220226_084411.jpg

While the gap may seem big, the traction is very good.

16 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I have 195/60 R14 in the Falkens. That would be close to the same size as the 205/50 R15.

My car is on the left. It has stock springs and very old struts.

20220605_075438.jpg

Here is more of a side view.

20220326_103558.jpg

Last photo

20220226_084411.jpg

While the gap may seem big, the traction is very good.

Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful.

17 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

Blue Z 3 qtr frt150x150.jpg

I have the European springs on the car, with higher spring rates, which tends to lift the car up a bit.   I am a little concerned that a 60 series tire might leave too much of a gap between the tire and the fender.  The Falkens do look like nice tires though.

I just noticed a typo.  I meant to say I was concerned with the gap on a 50 series tire.

1 minute ago, Marty Rogan said:

I just noticed a typo.  I meant to say I was concerned with the gap on a 50 series tire.

We knew what you meant.

I knew the Falkens were smaller than the Radial TAs I pulled off the wheels, and the visual did surprise me at first. However, when I'm behind the wheel with tires that grip well, I don't worry about it in the least. 🙂

• Like 1