IGNORED

Fram fuel filters

siteunseen

No parts store around here has Fram G2 filters at the moment. I found some off brand knockoffs at them but no Frams.

I bought from o'Reilly's "Micro" something or another. The OE fuel filter  looks good and was only $5 but the G2 that I use coming out of the fuel tank was a off, the 5/16" barb went down to an 1/8" hole on the out side. The in barb is 5/16".

My thinking is to gently open the small hole by slowly turning a drill bit while blowing through to keep the shavings out of the filter. No big deal but was curious if anyone else ran into to this. That "supply chain" excuse is worn out and this is just poor adherence to specifications in my opinion. 

Just a rant from me, as usual, but how long are we going to accept this crap and blame it on covid. Redundant I know but damn it, the bar has been lowered and I'm worried it's never gonna be the same.

Happy 4th of July China. Stick to cheap fireworks for me.

Old G2...

20220630_200029.jpg

New small output hole...

20220630_195942.jpg

7 hours ago, siteunseen said:

What do think about hand drilling that small hole to a 5/16" opening like my old one? Is there a purpose or just shoddy quality?

Thanks Steve.

Not sure if there was a reason or just Chinesium. I would be wary of getting junk in the filter from drilling, though.

• Like 1

Or there being junk in the filter out of the box due to Chinesium.  I recently replaced the clutch slave on my D21 pickup just to have the new one start leaking after about a month.  Took it apart and found shavings from the manufacturing process.  I want to say there's a thread about that here too. 

• Like 2

It's my belief that Wix makes some of the best filters. They make the NAPA premium platinum oil filters. There are a few good videos on Youtube where people have cut open the filters to show how they're made. Wix was one of the best. Fram sucked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3