IGNORED

1975 Datsun 280Z fuel gauge sending unit, how to change ?

Killain

Well I posted earlier this month about my gas tank woes, and the shop who put the new fuel pump in said that my fears of having a bunch of dirt and water in the bottom of the tank, might not be so, Howie said if the car was parked, for whatever amount of time, Had real gasoline in the tank when parked it might have not be such a mess after 13 years ? but I also asked for them to see if the drain plug on the bottom of the tank to see if it would break loose, ( it did ) which makes me think that water hadn't been at the bottom of the tank ( I was thinking if the drain plug had a lot of rust, it might be frozen in place ) But it broke loose so maybe that a good sign ? But I need to change the dash gauge sending unit, and of course, they too are in short supply so I have one from Zcardepot and it is a little different and needs some of the connections changed to make it work. My question is do I need to drop the tank to change the sending unit ? BTW : the new Carter Fuel pump fit in the original mount and is really silent now, so I guess the old pump was very noisy must of meant it was getting ready to die ?

Thank you,

Edited by Killain

Hi, Did you have a look in the service manual?  If it has a sending unit like a 240z it's on the frontside of the tank iirc.. and if it's like in a 280zx it's on top.. and can be accessed from the boot.. iirc.. 😉 

So no need to drop the tank!

btw.. pic's tell a lot more, i like to see the different sending units.. i know the 280zx one and find it interesting to see if a 280z has a different one..  (Ofcourse it's different why make it easy when you can make it complicated hey NISSAN?? pffff... ) 

75 Datsun 280Z fuel tank hose routing.gifWell I have looked through the manual, the factory service manual, it doesn't say you need to remove the tank, but it also says the fuel gauge sending unit is on the front of the tank, and the sending unit I got from Zcardepot will work, but you only need to use the yellow and black wires which I assume means you don't use the fuel waring unit ? a picture of my sending unit is here : and the one that was or went in from the factory is here: and a layout of the tank. But never the less, I need to empty the tank.

SANY0002 (4).JPG

1975 Datsun 280Z fuel gauge sending unit.jpg

Edited by Killain

1 hour ago, Killain said:

But never the less, I need to empty the tank.

Pretty easy to siphon from the Z cars.  On your 75 you can see right down in to the tank through the filler neck.  Use an Oklahoma credit card.  Should easily get the level down to where you can at least try to replace the sender without dropping the tank.  Looks cramped under there though.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1