IGNORED

Front Cover Leak

adivin

I reinstalled my front engine cover while the engine was out of the car.  I used the gaskets that came in an L24 gasket set.  Now that the engine is in the car, of course I have a leaks at the top of the cover where it meets the head.  I don't know what I did wrong, so I don't know what to do different this time around.  Any tips, tricks, or insights would be appreciated. Are gaskets preferred to RTV?  Man, I hate doing things twice!

I used some locktite sealer on those paper gaskets, it sticks the gasket to one side and makes it more easy to put it all together, also the chance that it is sealed is very high. Just don't over do it, a little bit of that blue (silicone like) sealer out of a locktite tube is enough! (on both sides of the gasket.)

13 hours ago, S30Driver said:

I assume the leak you are seeing is engine oil?   Did you use any sealant on the new cover gaskets?  Copper coat is what I sealed the cover gaskets with.

Yes, it is engine oil.  I normally do not use sealant if I'm using a gasket. 

28 minutes ago, cgsheen1 said:

you need to pay special attention to the head gasket seal in that area when you reinstall the front cover - and it will require sealant

I think this is where I went wrong.  I didn't pay special attention to this area, and I don't remember if I used sealant there or not.  Thanks for the good info.  I will try your technique too.

9 hours ago, adivin said:

I don't remember if I used sealant there or not. 

IIRC It says in the bible... that's the servicemanual that you have to put some sealant on a few spots..  (I find it unbelievable that there are still people that put an engine together (I'm not saying you are!) without a service manual!  You can acces it for free!  These engines are not difficult but one WILL forget something or torck things the wrong way..