IGNORED

280z vacuum delay (part#)

21 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

What valve on the 280Z are you referring to?  Do you even know what a vacuum delay valve is for?

Here u go, CA models only. Most cars I have seen here has bypassed this. Goes between thermal vacuum valve and BPT valve.

A5FBFCB1-E8BC-4F80-B262-6A9283AAFC4E.jpeg

30 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Have you checked to see if the 280Z part is still available? I checked. It's not.

Also, you can get that part from a dealer in the US if the 280Z part is NLA. https://www.courtesyparts.com/oem-parts/nissan-valve-assembly-vacuum-delay-14958v6700

My original do not hold pressure one way so I think it is bad. Seems like this is same part as the one u are referencing.

44 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

That sounds like it's working perfectly.

It's supposed to be easy to draw vacuum through in one direction, and possible (but not easy) to draw vacuum through in the other direction.

I meant it blows same amount of air both directions. It is supposed to be one-way and i did the water test as well.

OK, when you put it that way, it sounds like it's not working correctly. In that case, I don't have any concrete suggestions about what to use as a replacement, but I would like to talk some about the "end of the story" and what your end goal is.

So... I see you are in California, and are subject to heightened scrutiny of your emissions system. I'm assuming that's why you can't just remove that delay valve completely (as you've seen on most other cars). But your (malfunctioning) valve that passes air easily in both directions is functionally the same thing as removing it completely.

I'm not in CA and are therefore not that familiar with their emissions regulation details. Are you telling me that the guys at the inspection station actually TEST that valve for functionality? I mean, I could be easily convinced they compare your engine to a year appropriate picture and look for all applicable emissions equipment, but do they actually start taking tubes off and testing for functionality?

• Agree 1

They do test EGR functionality according to what I read, though I didn't find the procedure in my quick search. 

13 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

My original do not hold pressure one way so I think it is bad. Seems like this is same part as the one u are referencing.

The part numbers are very similar. I cannot speak to functionality.

When in doubt about your California smog test, ALWAYS get a pre-test. You don't want the car labelled as a gross polluter.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

They do test EGR functionality according to what I read, though I didn't find the procedure in my quick search. 

The part numbers are very similar. I cannot speak to functionality.

When in doubt about your California smog test, ALWAYS get a pre-test. You don't want the car labelled as a gross polluter.

So far 3 years I have not received anything asking me for a smog test here. Not sure why but on the registration card my car being 1977 280z is documented as 76 manufactured.

I just saw this part on ebay and thought to get it. Car doesnt seems to have any problem running. Worst case it is passing some gases out which could have been recirculated! thats how i understood the operation of this valve.