IGNORED

Need clutch disc, not kit

Hi

I had a McLeod clutch kit installed about 5-years ago but only put maybe 2-3K miles on the car and it is shot. That was using my 5-speed transmission which I just switched out to a 4-speed last year. Hopefully, whatever caused the issue with the clutch will be corrected now. From the looks of the wear, it seems that the disc was cupped slightly.

McLeod only sells replacement discs for some of their American car products. Is there any reason why I couldn't just replace the disc with one from another manufacture? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

A picture would be neat.  You're saying that Mcleod's products are of low quality.  Which do you have, it looks like there are two types of disc.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/sport-compact/c28

Any aftermarket disc should work.  Pick your favorite brand.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1976,280z,2.8l+l6,1209226,transmission-manual,clutch+friction+disc,10605

This was McLeod part no. 763701. The TSR at McLeod said it was an installer issue. : \

In the pics you can see the outer edge is glazed on one side and the inner edge is glazed on the other side. Holding a straight edge across the pads shows that the disc is cupped. 

Rock Auto shows an m-pact that should fit. I had to contact M-Pact directly to get the product number because it didn't show up on a Rock Auto search by car type (99536ST2) 

HD Ceramic Hi-Torque 6 Puck Assembly, 8-7/8" X 1" X 24T

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

Edited by Jeff Berk

No, not beat up. Just some grease, grime, bad picture. I won't say I didn't install it backwards. I cannot recall which way I installed it.

This was the first time I installed a clutch so maybe I screwed up. I have a lot of firsts with this car. I'm getting really good at replacing transmissions (unfortunately).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

maybe I screwed up. I have a lot of firsts with this car.

We all have done something wrong i think to our cars in time..  i think you installed it the wrong way (?) ...   The part does not look very used.. could be that if you sanded the pads a bit you could use it for many more miles as it did not make a very well contact to the rest of the clutch parts!

The cupping will go away once the clutch is installed in the right way.. i think/hope.. (Use also some degreasing stuff because a clutch HATES grease!!)

• 1 month later...

The new disk is in and the car is working fine except for one annoyance.

With the clutch disengaged, there is a slight grinding sound in 1st and 2nd gear. The sound goes away as soon as I let the clutch out or when in neutral, 3rd and 4th gear.

Could the clutch slave not disengaging far enough? 

On a side note, anyone go to the vintage car race in Pittsburgh last weekend? There were not too many Z's racing but quite a few parked in the car show area.

8 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

Could the clutch slave not disengaging far enough? 

When you put the car in gear and you let go the clutch .. say a few cm, or as you guys say half an inch 🙂 .. does the car move? it shoud not.. It's normal that the car starts moving after about an inch lifting the clutchpedal.. when you have a new clutch, as this gets older it wil take more and more inches before the car moves or starts moving.. after 80kMiles there comes a time the clutch is that worn that it does not engage anymore.. some clutches work a lot longer it's just how you "work the clutch" in it's life time..

A slight wine of the clutch when disengaged in 1 gear (or second) is nothing to worry about i think..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

15 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

A slight wine of the clutch when disengaged in 1 gear (or second) is nothing to worry about i think..

Could be the throw out bearing? My 280 does it when in neutral with no clutch engagement.

I pressed it on the collar myself. Next time I had my machinest press the bearing on my 240. It's as quite as a church mouse.