IGNORED

Electric fans

Pomorza

Hello mates

I'm sure this has been discussed but my searching abilities are kind of useless today - its been a long weekend - but has anyone used the Z car depot electric fan shroud and fans for a 280z? Do you like it or do you prefer running other fans/fan combos?

Thank you all
Jan

I ran electric fans/shroud on my car and I had issues with the thermostat that would control the electrical fans. I got off the track one time and the dang fans were not on.

I saw @ around 4:30 

these dudes are using a stock fan. I figured if it was good enough for them I’ll switch… and I’ve never had to think about the fans again.

Good temps on the track now too.

• Thanks 1

I have been though several electric fans setups, and I did try the relay with a several brand cooling switchs at several times and they are not at all accurate. if you look in the electrical section on this site I did just install a davies craig fan controller with great success. I at one time use a flex-a lite 14" fan with the old radiator and now with the new champion radiator I have a 13" spal fan. the spal fan has a lot more air  flow then the other fan . [power]

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I ran electric fans/shroud on my car and I had issues with the thermostat that would control the electrical fans. I got off the track one time and the dang fans were not on.

I saw @ around 4:30 

these dudes are using a stock fan. I figured if it was good enough for them I’ll switch… and I’ve never had to think about the fans again.

Good temps on the track now too.

I don't mind the stock mechanical fan but it appears to me that the fan clutch is broken - i.e once it engages it will never disengage when I drive. I'm thinking of replacing it or attempting to repair it but I figured I'd ask about the electric fans just out of curiosity.

Cheers
Jan

I would consider replacing the fan clutch with an OE replacement. I've heard of people attempting repairs and using the same oils that are used in some electronic / gas powered model cars.... 😕

Here is a link to an AtlanticZ PDF that talks about rebuilding the OEM clutch unit.

FAN 280zx Datsun rebuild fan clutch.pdf

It was from @240260280 in this thread

In that thread they talk about a silicon oil, but i dont see a reference to any weights (cst).

Here is another supplier https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-seiki-silicone-differential-oil-50ml-1000cst-mugb0324/p453219

New fan clutch can be had for $30 bucks probably. 😇