IGNORED

Need help with Water Seal Screen

Roberts280Z

When I disassembled my doors, I just ripped all the plastic sheeting away, and assumed the FSM would help me with reinstallation photos.  The FSM only makes mention of a 'water seal screen', with no diagrams or photos.  The parts suppliers don't seem to offer any replacements.  If it's just mylar sheeting, I can cut that out myself if I know what size it should be and where it should go.

My doors also had individual thicker plastic covers over the individual inner door openings.  It's possible that I added those myself, but I don't think so.

Thanks in advance...Robert

From the factory there is a sheet of plastic between the door and the door card. It basically goes around the perimeter of the door where you see the red and black line below.

image.png

To replicate what the factory had, get some butyl tape like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sealant-PROMOTOR-Sealants-Installing-Windshield/dp/B095NMPNZ3 and create a border as shown above.

Take a large sheet of 5 mil or thicker and adhere it to the butyl tape. 

Trim.

My painter had a sort of 2 foot wide sticky plastic and were this should NOT be sticky because of moving parts i put some of that plastic inside (against) the sticky plastic! workes very well! (then you don't need any butyl and make NO mess!!)

Edited by dutchzcarguy

Thanks for the suggestions for the watershield.

Here is a picture of one of the smaller interior coverings that I had removed and saved, and temporarily taped for this photo:

image.png

Note that it is yellow from a 20-yr old paint job.  I had made these prior to that paint job from drafting mylar, which I thought matched the original material.

Has anyone seen similar individual coverings, in addition to the overall watershield?

This is possibly what happened.  Suppose indeed there was an extra, harder plastic cover, but over only the large opening at the bottom of the door.  It cracked, and I made a replacement for it using the drafting mylar.  And, while I was at it, I also made covers for all the other door openings.

Well, you can cover it up however you want but from the factory it was just a single sheet of fairly thin plastic glued on at the edges by that black goop with round cutouts for the bolt locations... It doesn't really "seal up the door" but it does give the door card - which falls apart when wet - some protection for those of you that live in places where it actually rains and snows.

• Like 1