IGNORED

Radiator Core Support Compatibility

ArcticFoxCJ

Hey all,

As I understand it, most body components are interchangeable between different S30 models.  I notice there's a Radiator Core Support for sale from KF Vintage and they only list it for the 240Z... Does anyone know if this is also usable on the 280Z?  They don't seem to have one listed for the 280Z but maybe it isn't a problem?

https://kfvintagejdm.com/shop/datsun/radiator-support-kit/

Mine is not too terrible to patch up, but I'm considering replacing it anyway.

7 hours ago, ArcticFoxCJ said:

most body components are interchangeable between different S30 models

Eh... NO... there are A LOT of differences..  Most time people say they are the same, it will fit is when they have something for sale! haha.. 

And sometimes i have the feeling that it's even worse for the s130 (280zx's) they are also very different.

You have to make sure that the part you want to buy fits the car by looking at the date of the car and/or serial numbers..

I remember that i needed another radiator in my s130 and i bought several (in a big parts buy..) and they were from s130 and s30 and all were different in some way.. (mainly in the spots were the bolts go to fit in the car.) 

• Thanks 1

Actually the car I have been working on does not have the correct radiator support for the year. I believe it is a 280z support, It seems to fit fine and all the panels line up. There are differences between the years but I still believe the critical dimensions are the same

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Eh... NO... there are A LOT of differences..  Most time people say they are the same, it will fit is when they have something for sale! haha.. 

And sometimes i have the feeling that it's even worse for the s130 (280zx's) they are also very different.

You have to make sure that the part you want to buy fits the car by looking at the date of the car and/or serial numbers..

I remember that i needed another radiator in my s130 and i bought several (in a big parts buy..) and they were from s130 and s30 and all were different in some way.. (mainly in the spots were the bolts go to fit in the car.) 

Yeah the 280ZX is definitely a very different car.  As far as I know there are no interchangeable body parts at all.  

Edited by ArcticFoxCJ

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Actually the car I have been working on does not have the correct radiator support for the year. I believe it is a 280z support, It seems to fit fine and all the panels line up. There are differences between the years but I still believe the critical dimensions are the same

Is it a 240z?

16 hours ago, ArcticFoxCJ said:

Hey all,

As I understand it, most body components are interchangeable between different S30 models.  I notice there's a Radiator Core Support for sale from KF Vintage and they only list it for the 240Z... Does anyone know if this is also usable on the 280Z?  They don't seem to have one listed for the 280Z but maybe it isn't a problem?

https://kfvintagejdm.com/shop/datsun/radiator-support-kit/

Mine is not too terrible to patch up, but I'm considering replacing it anyway.

The 280Z has a larger radiator (it's actually deeper) and the radiator core support "dives down" in the bottom center "U" like (it's 1 1/2" - 2" lower than the 240Z core support). If your 280 has A/C the 240Z core support will be missing the punch out(s) for the condenser tubing. It will also not have the correct brackets for the stock air cleaner. Those corrections could all be made of course, but the bottom of the core support would be the largest issue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cgsheen1 said:

The 280Z has a larger radiator (it's actually deeper) and the radiator core support "dives down" in the bottom center "U" like (it's 1 1/2" - 2" lower than the 240Z core support). If your 280 has A/C the 240Z core support will be missing the punch out(s) for the condenser tubing. It will also not have the correct brackets for the stock air cleaner. Those corrections could all be made of course, but the bottom of the core support would be the largest issue.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

For what they charge for that part on KF Vintage I don't want to have to do that much work to it.  Since the one I have has a few holes but no major rust damage, I'll just repair it.

Oh, in that case... 

I think I would buy the 240Z parts you were looking at - and use a 240Z Koyo radiator. That's what I'm using in my turbo-swapped early 260 (which has a 240Z style core support - they changed that design with the late 260Z->280Z). Great radiator even with A/C running in Phoenix and I daily drive Goldie.

That's if you can't find a 280Z front end to remove from another shell. From the pics, you could use a bit more than just the core support.

• Like 1