IGNORED

The horn again

grannyknot

1. Make sure the relay is good.
  2. Make sure you have good grounds for the horns, that is no paint under the mounting point, since they ground to the chassis.
  3. Make sure the wiring up front isn't corroded. You should have seen how bad it was on my 240Z when I went to get her back on the road last summer.
  4. Make sure the grounding is good between the horn button and the steering column.
  5. (Added) Make sure the fuse is good.
Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Every time I put a 240z back together I run into the same problem, push the horn button and you get a click with a bit sound from the horn then nothing.  I can't remember what the fix is, anyone recognize the symptom?

Thanks 

Trouble shooting electrics is not my thing, but,I do remember that tiny adjustments on a

set screw on the back of the hone housing makes a big difference.  You’ve probably 

already gone there, but this set screw adjusts the gap of horn coil points.  Here is the

reference in the Service Manual:

80B3A5C3-C5CC-4D5A-BADD-54EF0C94CAB3.jpeg

DCCB8BE4-1C5C-4010-898E-13DDFF64D116.jpeg

BFD8C99C-D35C-4E50-AA99-45EE081CD4E4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

tiny adjustments on a

set screw on the back of the hone housing makes a big difference.

YES, but clean the thing first inside because the tiny adjustments go off when the thing is not super clean inside!  so first clean the &^#$%#@ thing and then adjust to the right setting!  There are 2 horns with different frequencies and need precise adjustment.