IGNORED

What is painted body color?

Broman

So while I am a fair ways off from applying color to my 71 240Z, I am trying to be sure I understand the painting sequence that Nissan used.

When the car was ready to get shot with it's color coat, here is what I believe was installed, and therefore got painted the final color:

- Two doors
- Hood
- Cowl panel and its four receiving "sockets" in the lower windshield frame
- Two inspection doors (battery, clutch master)
- Hood hinge assy with torsion rods
- Two fenders
- Two headlight buckets ("sugar scoops")
- Front lower valance
- Two front lower corners
- Gas door
- Two interior compartment doors (not applicable to Series I)
- Interior sound deadening mats

What I am not sure of:
- Hood prop rod?
- Door latches on door?
- Door strikers on jamb?

Did I miss anything?

The hood hinge torsion rods should be black, so I would assume they were off, when originally painted. Here is a pic of my 7/70 car, there is no evidence of overspray on them, not even the ends. Never been painted under the hood.

image.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

The three items above are all plated, not painted. Pretty sure the hatch should be on the installed color set.

Wow..how did I miss the rear hatch!  Duh!

I asked about the plated door latch and strikers because on the old Corvettes (my previous addiction) these were the two items installed before paint so that the doors would stay closed when intended.  They were masked rather roughly so they had body color paint around the edges.  But I will not repeat that on my Z if no one has seen that trick done by Nissan.

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I am no expert on this at all, but I remember seeing a post about parts of the front of the radiator core are black in some areas. Might only be on early cars.

Something like this pic I stole from the web. 

core.jpeg

This is what I have on my Z, and I have seen many other similar patterns.  They seem to just blackout the area directly behind the grille.

IMG_2092.JPG

8 hours ago, Broman said:

This is what I have on my Z, and I have seen many other similar patterns.  They seem to just blackout the area directly behind the grille.

IMG_2092.JPG

Nissan brushed on some almost flat black paint on the front of the radiator core support so that color would not show thru the grill. Here is my car before paint and after. Note that the five mount points for the grill are also blacked out. I used gloss black to make it easier to clean.

HPIM0312.JPG

HPIM0468.JPG

• Like 1

BTW - Nissan also did the black-out treatment on the interior at three locations: (1) along the A-pillar and inner rocker so color would not show along the edges of the kickpanel; (2) along the B-pillar and inner rocker for the dogleg panel; (3) tops of the seat support brackets.

2 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

BTW - Nissan also did the black-out treatment on the interior at three locations: (1) along the A-pillar and inner rocker so color would not show along the edges of the kickpanel; (2) along the B-pillar and inner rocker for the dogleg panel; (3) tops of the seat support brackets.

Have you also got pix of those areas?