IGNORED

Door panel clear washers for Series 1

zed2

Final production:

Door fastener and washer 1.jpg

Door fastener and washer 2.jpg

Door fastener and washer 3.jpg

Door fastener and washer 4.jpg

The washer material used contains elastomer this minimizes cracking.  Although the washer is not generally exposed to sunlight, I have not conducted long term tests on the color fastness or rigidity.)

The flash on the inner hole is covered by the fastener head.

The next challenge is to locate a manufacturer of the correct size oval, phillips head screw.

Keith

Edited by zed2
  • Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, zed2 said:

The next challenge is to locate a manufacturer of the correct size oval, phillips head screw.

I think the correct screw would be a JIS not a Phillips head screw... JIS looks like the Phillips but has a little dimple in one of the corners of the cross..

You also need a JIS screwdriver for that.. On a datsun 240z there are many screws with JIS... now you know also why the Phillips screwdriver never fitted very well 😉 ....

Jis vs Philips

See de dimple on it..

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I think the correct screw would be a JIS not a Phillips head screw... JIS looks like the Philips but has a little dimple in one of the corners of the cross..

You also need a JIS screwdriver for that.. On a datsun 240z there are many screws with JIS... now you know also why the Phillips screwdriver never fitted very well 😉 ....

Jis vs Philips

See de dimple on it..

De bronafbeelding bekijken

dutchzcarguy,

Please provide a photo of the sheet metal screw (your photo is a machine screw) used for this application.  None of the sheet metal screws in this thread or the thread below have the JIS marking you indicate.

Naturally, I do not want to install a JIS screw where one was not originally installed during original production.  Photographic proof of JIS is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I think the correct screw would be a JIS not a Phillips head screw... JIS looks like the Philips but has a little dimple in one of the corners of the cross..

Jis vs Philips

Thanks for posting this image.  It's probably the best image I've seen to show the difference between Phillips and JIS drivers. You can immediately see why Phillips drivers tend to "cam" out of JIS screws causing damage.

Jis vs Philips

Here is a good link about the differences,

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/10583/phillips-vs-jis-vs-pozidriv/

FYI, just to add to the confusion note all JIS screws have the dot marking.

Just be careful to inspect your existing screwdrivers before you plunk down an order for a JIS set.  I didn't and. when the new JIS set arrived, I discovered that the tip geometry of my 10-year-old Craftsman screwdrivers was identical.  I then verified that my Craftsman set has the JIS tip geometry.  That makes me think that many of the manufacturers of 'regular' screwdrivers may have switched to the JIS tip geometry some time ago. 

I certainly do have some Phillips-head screwdrivers in my collection that aren't JIS, but they're all anywhere from 20 to 50 years old (dating myself here).  These cheap-o's helped me to strip out the heads of the through-bolts (actually pan-head Phillips machine screws) that were holding together the left and right-side halves of my Yamaha 80's crankcase.  That introduced me to the concept of corrosion between dissimilar metals and, in turn, led me to discover the perils of trying to use a cheap e-z-out to remove a frozen fastener (snap!).  Which, in turn, showed me how difficult it is the drill out a cheap, but nevertheless, hardened-steel e-z-out.  All of which led to my introduction to the service manager at my local bike shop.LOL

• Like 3

17 hours ago, zed2 said:

dutchzcarguy,

Please provide a photo of the sheet metal screw

Sorry, can't... These pics i took from the internet.. the 240z i have is a feb.1971 and not a VERY first edition with those screws in the doors!  So i can't help with that. I almost sure that your original screws will have the dimple as Japan in those times used the JIS screws a lot..  Later on.. in my 1979 280zx i see a lot of Phillips! (without the dimple..)

This discussion on JIS and not-so JIS from RTSTools.com:

"There are the real JIS and the not-so-real JIS screwdrivers. Remember, JIS is a standard, so a screwdriver needs to be made to that exact standard to be considered authentically JIS.

Most JIS advertised screwdrivers sold today by companies like Vessel, Hozan, and others are actually conforming to a new standard: DIN 5260 which is identical (at the tip) to the newer ISO 8764-1.

But wait, DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V. (German Institute for Standardization), and ISO is the International Organization for Standardization. Neither sound very Japanese, do they?

The reason these companies have changed to DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is because the new standard is designed to work in both Phillips and JIS screws. For the most part that is true, it does work on both screw types, but like anything meant to work with multiple things, the middle ground means compromise. The JIS standard screwdriver will always outperform a DIN/ISO screw driver in the worst of conditions on a JIS screw, and the same is true in reverse."

A couple of years ago I picked up a set of screwdrivers made by SunFlag from Japan - genuine JIS and well worth the investment.

• Agree 1