IGNORED

Front bumper fitment, 77 on a 76

Mark Maras

As the title states, I'm trying to confirm if a 77 280 front bumper is a bolt-on replacement for a 76 280. Jai (Redwing) needs a front bumper, ckurtz2 has one that needs a home. Jai has seen pics of it, wants to go ahead with the deal, but her insurance co. wants to be sure it's an easy (bolt-on) swap with no modifications. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I think the shock mounts are completely different.

Here's the image for the 75/76

Radiator Grille, Front Bumper & Over Rider (2 Seater) (From Sep.-'74 To Jul.-'76)

Here's the image for the 77/78

Radiator Grille, Front Bumper & Over Rider (2 Seater) (From Aug.-'76)

I would doubt they interchange easily. 

Yeah , both shock to bumper and shock to fenderwell appear to have a different bolt pattern. If I was installing it, I doubt it would be much of a problem. If it was mine I'd be installing 240 bumpers. I wonder if this is one of those parts that changed mid-year? I think it's time to contact Redwing and ckurtz2 and compare the bolt patterns on the 76 chassis and the 77 bumper.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I have a 76 with the front bumper on it. It is not in perfect shape most of the rubber is cracked, and there is a bent up part on the drivers side, so inexpensive. 

Let me know if there is any interest.  I'm in WA too. Exit 82

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Jai's bumper is also damaged on the left side too. She's hoping for as close to pristeen as she can get.

• Thanks 1

carpartsmanual.com shows the bumpers being the same from Sept. 74 to July 76. Shock part #s are 62210-N4200 and #62211-N4200.

Aug. 76 on the shock #s are 62210-N4701 and 62211-N4701. It's time to get the build date on Jai's Z. Hopefully that will narrow it down.

• Like 1

The bumpers are very different . The early pre august version does not compress as much as the later version. Thatis way the shockslook a lot shorter in carpartsmanual, the bumper does not push in as far.

That being said, you can change a later model 280Z back to the early version if you have all the parts. The bolt pattern for mounting the shocks are the same on bothversions. So if you have all the components from a early model it would work.

The bumper components are not interchangable. The shocks, chrome section and rubber ends are all different.

• Like 1