IGNORED

Heater and AC discussion.

Av8ferg

On 1/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, Av8ferg said:

To the R-134 issue.  I’ve been educating myself on this.   I’m getting conflicting information.  Some says R-134 molecules are smaller and require changes in the fittings and condenser or you will be recharging your system, every 24 months or so….I’m kind of calling BS on this,  This sounds whacky to me with my basic understanding of Physics (I did major in Physics for 2 years at UMASS).  I don’t claim to be an expert by any means.  I do understand that there are different pressures required between the two systems to reach similar efficiencies so that my be the issue that the R-12 fittings can’t handle the R-134 systems pressures  and the stock hitachi compressor can’t handle it either well.  Again, fact or fiction?   Either way I need a new condenser because mine is beat up.  So an R-134 designed one from Vintage Air is probably better and WAY cheaper that an OE type R-12 one.   Do I just got Sanden or have my compressor rebuilt?  Seems like if going R-134 then Sanden might be the right way to go. 

Uh, BS indeed. I have a completely stock A/C system in my 260Z and I converted it to R134a before I put it back on the road 12 years ago. Stock compressor using Ester oil - Phoenix Arizona... Not that I've never recharged it - I have a couple of times when I pulled the engine - but it's not a "every two years cuz I lost refrigerant" type thing. (I'm also a journeyman plumber (former life) and understand flare tubing very well - so I don't have leaks in joints...) My Hitachi compressor has held up so far, but I have a Sanden on the shelf for when it doesn't. With the mods I've made to the duct system and my Kia blower. I'll put my A/C system up against any other S30, any day (especially in Phoenix).

• Like 2

Good to hear, I need new hoses and condenser anyway but I agree that it’s BS.
It there anyway to test a compressor and it is worth to have it rebuilt? I’d rather use my Hitachi and roll like you and DaveWM…he lives in FL I think and you can’t live without AC there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk