IGNORED

Look what I found

z8987

4 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I hate to feed the fire, but, although Patcon is always one of the level-headed respectful members, in this case, asking how much somebody paid is not quite right. 

If you look, again, at Charles' post you'll see that he didn't ask how much the Z cost, only a "Ballpark" number which could be something  nonspecific like more than $20K and less than $50K without giving away too much detail.  I also understand folks being touchy about what they pay for things.  Play nice, move on.

• Like 2

That is splitting hairs, I think.  And z89 had a good point about telling what the sellers accepted, maybe they gave him a sweet deal because he was a good guy.  In today's collector world, you're supposed to hang on for every dollar otherwise people get upset that you're harming the "marque".  If the number is too low then people will start abusing "Bob and Marci" for selling too low.  That actually happened on the barn find 76 280Z.  Somebody implied that the seller had sold too cheap and was foolish for not holding out.   Money is always a touchy subject.

Ideally, big picture, z89 would have known or assumed that people on the most popular Z car site in the world might know who the previous owners were.  The thread should have started with "Hey, I bought Bob and Marci's 240Z!".   But he just joined a couple of years ago so apparently did not think about that.  A person could argue that Patcon (sorry Patcon) should have thought about that too.  Everybody wondered but was anybody really surprised when he didn't give an answer?

The attempt to create an interesting story has gone awry.  But it can be saved, the car is now owned by an enthusiast instead of an investor.  That's a good thing, right?

• Like 3

I wasn't really looking for specifics...
I thought it would be an interesting anecdote if a survivor Z like this could be found for a reasonable number. After watching BaT, cars like this bring, sometimes, serious money. I thought it would be encouraging to others who might be looking for a car to validate that nice cars are still available for a reasonable price. That is why I asked

I understand. I wasn’t being rude. I didn’t want to reveal the price or names of the buyer. I’m extra cautious about things like that. If I was to post any of that I’d check with the seller.

My last 70 I bought I paid $3500 for it. The owner died and his son sold it to me. I told him the car was worth more than $3500. He laughed and said take it or leave it. Since the owner was no longer living and the son didn’t care I posted all kinds of info. You can find it on this forum. I’ll probably sell that car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was part of my reason for asking. For most of the members here there is enough anonymity that people can't find you, don't know you or connect the dots. There are many people here that I have no idea what their name actually is (Zed Head for instance). In a situation like that, it seems the information would have very minimal opportunity for blow back. That was the case when the sellers were anonymous...

As for sellers that sell below what someone else thinks they should, who cares...when the critic owns the car they can sell for whatever they want.

These cars have appreciated greatly, but we are not a Ferrari or Porsche level marque and I would hate to see the  classic Datsun go that way...

Unfortunately the person complaining about my behavior revealed the sellers names.  Their anonymity was lost because somebody thought it was a good idea to use their stellar name to insult me.  I'm fortunate to have met and bought a car from such nice people.  It's not everyday that you meat such great people.  Amazing, and they owned the car for 52 years.   Just amazing.  I am blessed. 

1 hour ago, z8987 said:

Unfortunately the person complaining about my behavior revealed the sellers names. 

It's tied to the VIN, which you supplied.  It's a small community.  

There are no winners in these internet forum beefs.  The harder a person tries to win the farther away they get from the goal.  Best let it fade and start talking about the car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

It's tied to the VIN, which you supplied.  It's a small community.  

There are no winners in these internet forum beefs.  The harder a person tries to win the farther away they get from the goal.  Best let it fade and start talking about the car.

He knows them personally. Look at the comment.  I’m really not butt hurt.  It’s just when I’m enthusiastic about something I’m blinded by it and I go at it 100%. Then when I’m characterized as gloating or whatever was said I no longer care as much about belonging to that group. I’m a loaner. I have two friends and I can hardly manage that.  I have two series 1‘s and I’ve shared that here.  I could say you guys know more about what I love than my 91 year old mother or my sister. They don’t understand. I come here because I can relate to  the enthusiasm.  I cleaned my engine compartment today.  The battery tray, the valve cover and put the valve cover back on.  I remove the battery cables and cleaned them up. I have a sonic cleaner that I put all the bolts in that were removed.  It’s a great cleaning device for small parts. I used a gun grease to coat my battery connections. It’s made by cleanse oil. It’s a nice thin coat. Some guy stoped me at the store and I lost track of time and got home late.  Yesterday a guy was giving me hand signals going down the road. I stopped and we talked mostly about the squadron we both served in on the USMC. Being a marine I can and have taken a lot of sh!t. I just prefer not to. My wife is trying to come up with a name for the car. I won’t like it and then it will grow on me.  I could careless about naming a car.  So, I’ll continue to share my journey.  When I’m done here somebody will probably get a deal of. Lifetime.  I could careless about making money selling cars.  I built a couple Jeep’s and almost game them away.  I only ended up here because somebody sold me a series 1 for $3500. I decided this is my direction for awhile.  This is why I sold my Jeep’s. My passion has been redirected to z’s.  Sorry about the long explanation 

• Like 2

I posted them and was attached and told I was boasting for posting photos.  That's what I thought this site was for.  I know it's just one person, but as long as he's here and harassing people I won't share photos.  I like having the opportunity to get to know people in the community.  That's part of the fun.  Some people take the fun out of it.  

I also thought the "no" response was a little on the negative side and really doesn't have anything to do with you being proud of your find. My guess is that Patcon also thought you had a nice find and was just curious on the range of the price for such a nice find (that us late comers have no idea on without pictures). Charles (patcon) is one of the more helpful/supportive people on these boards and other than you I doubt there's anybody else on these boards that saw his question as overly prying. I know when I was growing up and I got a just "no" (or "maybe" which always meant "no") from my parents it was viewed as a negative response. This whole thing reminds me of the kid that didn't get what he wanted so he took his ball away.

• Like 2