IGNORED

starter issue, wiring?

Wally

11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Hard to see what's connected to what here.  Not a great video, most of it points at nothing.  No offense.

Your problem is probably here though.

image.png

no worries. is this image any better?

IMG_3083.jpg

That is better.  It looks correct.

Seems like your alternator voltage is not being regulated.  The engine starts and the alternator pumps out too much voltage and current.  the high idle makes it worse.

So, the problem is either in the alternator itself or the wiring to the S terminal at the plug.  I think that this has been discussed before.  The wiring at the plug on the ZCD alternator is still not right.  Maybe you could dig up those old posts about the ZCD alternator wiring.

6 hours ago, Wally said:

I had someone look at car when i wasnt around. They told me the alternator was pulling 18volts

11 hours ago, Yarb said:

@Zed Headwasn’t there an adapter plug for the alternator harness mentioned in an earlier thread from MSA that was required for the higher amperage alternators. Could that possibly be thrown in the mix? Just a thought 

there was. I bought that plug when i got this alternator. So i am using the plug ZCD said too. I likely have something hooked up wrong though. 

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

That is better.  It looks correct.

Seems like your alternator voltage is not being regulated.  The engine starts and the alternator pumps out too much voltage and current.  the high idle makes it worse.

So, the problem is either in the alternator itself or the wiring to the S terminal at the plug.  I think that this has been discussed before.  The wiring at the plug on the ZCD alternator is still not right.  Maybe you could dig up those old posts about the ZCD alternator wiring.

i agree. something is off with the voltage. Someone told me that this alternator has an internal regulator and thus dont use the OEM one. i bought the voltage blockoff plug...that is in currently. I will get some image or a video uploaded in a day to two. thanks

here is a better image of my alternator connected up. The plug you see is the one made for the alternator. I looked at an older post i made on this and i believe i 

connected everything properly/as suggested.

I am a little confused though (to say the least). 

Per the page of ZCD, in description it says, 

"the plugs red wire connects to switched 12V and black wire connects to the positive post on the alternator."

I have the red wire connected to my yellow wire from my harness...This should be the ignition key on?

I have the black wire connected to the white/black stripe wire which i hope is the "12v post (or positive post on alternator)?" On the ZCD page

I'm a little unsure if these 2 are connected properly..

I double checked that this alternator is supposed to have an internal regulator thus use the blockoff for the OEM voltage regulator.

I just got in the  DC clamp ammeter SteveJ suggested. I will try to figure it out and post results of what i can. I dont really want to try and crank it just yet as i am down to my last fusible link and i am sure i will burn it up it i try to crank it now...

i guess i will buy a couple more though. i can easily take alternator off and up to oreillys to get a free check on it though and will try to do so later today.

Whole point of this alternator was i wanted to upgrade my sound system which includes 

-2 small speakers up front near where feet go in floorboards and 2 6x9s in rear. I have a nice head unit and a small/medium amplifier. THus, i figured i needed to upgrade 

from the OEM alternator which i was told was 40amps. Now i am looking it says they are 60amps. Maybe i should just order a OEM alternator if 60 would be enough. Anyone have any thoughts on power consumption

and adequacy from the OEM one?

IMG_3087.jpg

Edited by Wally