IGNORED

Pulling My Engine, Need Second Opinion

Muzez

11 minutes ago, Muzez said:

If have a moment sometime over the holiday break to PM me a picture, would love to see it. I need to do the other spindle pin at some point but the immense feeling of dread keeps that at the end of my to-do list. 

I posted a thread on here somewhere.  Search my name and spindle pin puller and you should find it.  If not, I'm happy to send pics.  I had access to a lathe which made it easier for sure.  I bought a 3 foot length of 1" acme threaded rod, three mating nuts and three washers.  I then bought a length of 1" black steel pipe.  I cut the rod and drilled and tapped a M12x1.25 hole in each end.  I then cut the pipe and welded the washer to one end to support the thrust bearing.  One thing I didn't do that needs to be added is to either machine two flats on one end of the rod or drill a hole through the rod.  As it is, it works great, but once pulled, the spindle pin and rod are locked together.  The pin wedged in the rod as it's pulled.  The flats or hole in the rod would allow the rod to be held from rotating.  I double nut the free end of the spindle pin to back it off the rod.  Without the flats or hole, I have to put the rod between blocks of wood in a vice and even then, it can be hard to hold.

• Thanks 1

It can help to remove the spindle pin lock bolt, put a lug nut on the end of the spindle pin, squirt some penetrating fluid in to the lock bolt hole, and spin the pin suing the lug nut.  It will spread the lubricant inside and break up the rust that's holding it in.

• Like 2