IGNORED

Pulling My Engine, Need Second Opinion

Muzez

Hi Guys! Need a second opinion. Pulling my engine for the first time (77 280z). Front chain is mounted to the sligner, but the 6th exhaust cylinder bolt is sheared off so I can't use the back one. 

I saw that a few members have used ratchet straps so I got the 1000lb working rating strap and wrapped it around the bellhousing. 

Could you guys give this a second look before I pull the engine tomorrow?

Where should the strap be connected to the leveler? Right now I have it through the rear next to the leveling drive but not sure if that is right. 

Should I wrap the strap around the bellhousing a few times? And is there anything else I should connect it to? 

Any advice is helpful! Thanks guys

@Jeff G 78

20211218_171614.jpg

20211218_171606.jpg20211218_165708.jpg

20211218_171257.jpg

I'm guessing the engine will roll a bit to the left when you start to lift.  The front strap is on the right and the left strap that should be on the left is now centered, so the forces will be off center.  I've lifted many with broken rear studs and I believe I wrapped the strap around the rear runner of the exhaust manifold.  It should still work the way you have it, but just be prepared for the engine to roll a bit.  Also, be very careful about the straps pulling on anything that could chaffe or cut them.  The last thing you want is a 600 lb engine freefalling!  That would be a very bad day.  I usually use two sets of straps just to be safe.

• Agree 1

@Jeff G 78, @Reptoid Overlords, @Patconthanks for the replies guys and apologies for the post duplication. Got a 500 server error that the post didn't go through so I reposted, should have double checked. 

I will see if I have a chain long enough to go around the exhaust manifold runner. If not, will set two straps on the exhaust manifold side. 

Will post back in an hour with pictures when I get it moved. 

Patcon's reply from old post: 

I dont really like that set up.

Thread a section of chain through the exhaust manifold. Use bolts to close the loop on the manifold end.  Take the other end to the leveler. I wouldn't want a large loop like you have now. Too easy for the load to shift.

• Like 3

You'll get it, and it sure is nice to be able to clean up the engine bay.  On a side note, I used to live in the Ravenswood neighborhood near Irving Park and lawrence in the mid to late '90's.  I worked at that Sears on the 1900 block of Lawrence delivering TV's and such.  Sometimes i miss the place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

You'll get it, and it sure is nice to be able to clean up the engine bay.  On a side note, I used to live in the Ravenswood neighborhood near Irving Park and lawrence in the mid to late '90's.  I worked at that Sears on the 1900 block of Lawrence delivering TV's and such.  Sometimes i miss the place.

That is not far from where I am at! Got really excited that you might be local until I checked your profile. If you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a holler. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Also the transmission will drain out the rear when the engine is highly tilted if you don't drain it first or use a rubber cap on it

I have the rubber cap! I listened! 🙂 I think I have seen you mention it on 3-4 other posts. 

6 minutes ago, dar5052 said:

Your current setup is the same way I removed mine but I think I used a short chain instead of a strap. It worked well. I had to get the motor up pretty high to clear the oilpan over the radiator support

Sounds good, will shorten the chain in the front. 

• Like 1