IGNORED

Current draw traced to fusible link

Humbug

My 1976 Z has developed a parasitic current draw which drains the battery in a couple of days. I have traced it to the front right fusible link. That's the foreward one next to the fender, and it is brown.

My eyes aren't good enough to read the wiring diagrams, so hoping someone can give me a hint on what this link protects.

It started around the time I replaced the alternator with a new one from Autozone. I still have the external voltage regulator.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe

43 minutes ago, Humbug said:

My 1976 Z has developed a parasitic current draw which drains the battery in a couple of days. I have traced it to the front right fusible link. That's the foreward one next to the fender, and it is brown.

My eyes aren't good enough to read the wiring diagrams, so hoping someone can give me a hint on what this link protects.

It started around the time I replaced the alternator with a new one from Autozone. I still have the external voltage regulator.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Have you measures the current draw?

Unplug the voltage regulator and see if you still have a current draw.

Edited by SteveJ

You said the problem started shortly after you replaced the alternator. So as Captain Obvious, it is my duty to suggest you start your investigation there.

I suggest you disconnect your new alternator and see what happens.

Also, as a side note,,, For a 76, that front outboard link should be black, not brown. And it should be the largest link you have. That link powers a whooooooole bunch of stuff. Hopefully the issue is in the alternator and you can end the search with that.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

replaced the alternator with a new one from Autozone. I still have the external voltage regulator.

Why did you replace the alternator?  The VR has current path errors possible also.  If you were getting zero charge, probably the alternator.  Overcharge, probably the VR. 

And don't assume that Autozone gave you the correct product.  Could be they gave you an internally regulated alternator.

Here's a nice diagram.  Note that what people are calling Red now actually started as Brown.

Had it Copied, didn't Paste it.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks. I checked the diode in the alternator, and it passed, but I've not completely disconnected the alternator.

I rechecked the wire in the link, and it is blue.

I put a full charge on the red optima battery last night and fooled around with tests today. Then I left the battery disconnected. Later, when I checked, it had three volts,

I am going to get a new battery in the morning and start over.

Joe

I replaced the alternator because it wasn't putting any charge at all to the battery. After I put the new one in, it didn't work, either. I later ravved the engine, and the alternator started working, putting about 14v to the battery.

Electricity is devious, in my experience.

Zed Head, I'm not seeing any diagram.

Joe

If you have a test light, use it between the negative post and the end of the battery cable before you connect it, with the positive cable connected.  The only draw you should have is the clock.  You could remove the fuse for the clock, whichever one it is, if you want to remove all potential draws.

You can also look for sparks, and/or measure amps drawn, depending on what tools you have.

16 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I later ravved the engine, and the alternator started working, putting about 14v to the battery.

This is what people have to do when their Field wire is not connected.  That comes through the VR.  Might be that your old alternator was fine and the VR is the problem.  Measure voltage at the bottom of the "T" in the plug at the back of the alternator with the key on.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

With the new battery, the alternator is making 16.4 volts, and there are some slightly melted wires in the harness at the voltage regulator, so I assume the VR is shot. I've ordered a new one, and will see where this takes me.

Joe

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

With the new battery, the alternator is making 16.4 volts, and there are some slightly melted wires in the harness at the voltage regulator, so I assume the VR is shot. I've ordered a new one, and will see where this takes me.

Joe

Did you get a 40A alternator or did it have a higher rating? The 40A needs an external VR.