IGNORED

TTT Outer Tie Rods or Moog?

So my Datsun 280z has a pretty bad shake at the steering wheel above 35mph, I've narrowed it down to the inner and outer tie rods as they are the only suspension components I have not changed yet plus my right outer tie rod has visible play. My car has polyurethane bushings all around and TTT suspension from lower control arms and what not.

My question is, is there any noticeable steering feel difference between the Moog outer tie rod and the TTT outer tie rod? I know they use different bushings obviously, is that enough for a difference in feel or is the difference so minimal that its not worth the extra money? I do drive my car spiritedly in the Canyons and occasional track days.

27 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I have Moogs and they're fine for my driving. No track time, just cruising around town and laying on it on the interstate. My Moogs have grease zerks so that's why I bought those.

Remember the passenger's side is normal threads. Driver's side is left handed. 

Thanks for the reply, was actually probably going to go with just the moogs however I noticed they only make replacement for the stock inner tie rods which aren't made anymore so now I am debating whether to just replace the outer tie rods only with moog or if I should tackle the inners while I am there. How likely are the inner tie rods to go bad on these cars? If I can save some money that would be good.

4 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I've driven with both and didn't feel any difference but if you already have a bunch of TTT hardware installed you might as well keep going, at least all the components will have equal strength.

What I figured but spending another $100 on tie rods doesn't sound too comforting especially if there isn't even a difference. However I was going to replace my inner tie rod also but now I'm not sure if it's necessary or worth it, moog only makes outer tie rods for the oem inners

For what it's worth I've only replaced outers on my Zs as part of of refurbishing the steering racks. My '72 drives like it's on a rail, straight without any shake and that's the OE inner tie rods. I will add it's low mileage car however so take that into consideration.

Mine is a once monthly driven car too so I didn't replace the inners. I think you can spend money elsewhere like new rotors, calipers and SS short lines on all 4 corners. I went with drilled and slotted rotors plus ceramic pads, new bearings and all that stuff. Very happy with the results too.

DSC00707.JPG.b07c23a23e99afdb472629720fc3c4da.jpeg.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, siteunseen said:

For what it's worth I've only replaced outers on my Zs as part of of refurbishing the steering racks. My '72 drives like it's on a rail, straight without any shake and that's the OE inner tie rods. I will add it's low mileage car however so take that into consideration.

Mine is a once monthly driven car too so I didn't replace the inners. I think you can spend money elsewhere like new rotors, calipers and SS short lines on all 4 corners. I went with drilled and slotted rotors plus ceramic pads, new bearings and all that stuff. Very happy with the results too.

DSC00707.JPG.b07c23a23e99afdb472629720fc3c4da.jpeg.jpg

Thank you, my car only has 75k miles or so but the outer tie rods are shot for sure. I'll be replacing just the outer tie rods tomorrow and redo my alignment aswell at work after that. Nice, I actually just upgraded to 4 piston front, SS lines and all that a week ago. I should've replaced my bearings but they seemed okay so I just repacked them. Just need a bigger master for the brakes.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:09 AM, heyitsrama said:

@Ownallday `rare parts` makes a replacement inner rod, i have them on my 260z.

Do you have a link because it only shows one inner tie rod for me and to my mind that would mean Right hand for the driver side

• Like 1

Some (most?) end up just getting two right inners and then match it two two right outers, that’s why t3 sells two right outers together.

I guess another reason to go with moog if you don’t wanna spend the cash on repairing the inner too. When it’s time for the inner to go you’ll need to change one of the outers.

5 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Some (most?) end up just getting two right inners and then match it two two right outers, that’s why t3 sells two right outers together.

I guess another reason to go with moog if you don’t wanna spend the cash on repairing the inner too. When it’s time for the inner to go you’ll need to change one of the outers.

My friend actually just told me this yesterday, he said to just get two Right hand threaded moogs. Found out my inner tie rods are actually bad yesterday when I inspected them. Apparently zcardepot sells the left and right side so I went ahead and ordered that and Moog outer rods. Hopefully after this I have no more wheel shake.

Thanks for your response

I assume the tires are and rims are ok? I had a pretty bad shake, I ended up getting new tires and steel rims, after that all good (they looked fine, i have to assume they may have been deformed from a long period of non use by po. How did you determine the inner tie rods were bad? I assume some measure of end play? where the boots shot? I would think the orig would be good for well over 100k assuming they were protected from elements.

Edited by Dave WM

28 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

I was not aware of another manufacturer making a left sided inner tie rod, my assumption was that unless you're getting NOS, you'll have to use the double right from Rare Parts. Please update with pictures if you can. 🙂

I wasn't either, but their website has an option for left and right so I'm just assuming unless they are lying. I'll post pictures when I get them, I already have the outer tie rods I'll be installing at work today to see how much that helps with the shaking

4 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I assume the tires are and rims are ok? I had a pretty bad shake, I ended up getting new tires and steel rims, after that all good (they looked fine, i have to assume they may have been deformed from a long period of non use by po. How did you determine the inner tie rods were bad? I assume some measure of end play? where the boots shot? I would think the orig would be good for well over 100k assuming they were protected from elements.

Yes, tires are pretty much new only ~2k miles on them. The wheels are enkei from my friends Z, he experience no wheel shaking. I recently balanced my wheels and did an alignment all is good. On both sides you can tell the outer tie rods are bad, but on one side you can see the inner tie rod moving and hear a clicking/clunking kinda noise when checking for wheel play from that inner tie rod. Boots are shot on both sides. I believe my car was in a small accident in the past might've messed them up. I left a video of the inner tie rod play