IGNORED

74 260z distributor on wrong ??

OHhhhhhh  right ... i can only see the cam lobes with valve cover off...   so i take out #1 pug and will i be able to see in there when its at top?? i tried putting a screw driver it to feel top of piston but i wasnt sure - it felt like same spot after one rotation...

A screw drive in the spark plug hole will work fine. Don't catch it between the piston and the head. And be gentle around the spark plug hole threads. The piston should be very close to the top when the timing is at 0. You can roll the breaker bar back and forth and feel the piston get right to the top. Thats TDC

Camshaft ears pointed up, thats compression stroke

If you get the valve cover off, and take all of the spark plugs out, you can put a wrench on the timing gear bolt to turn the engine over.  Shine a bright light down the #1 plug hole and you'll see the top of the piston as it comes up.  When you see it close to the top, look at the timing mark on the damper pulley and get it to zero.  Look at the first two cam lobes at the front of the engine and make sure that they are pointed upward.  That will be the compression stroke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If you get the valve cover off, and take all of the spark plugs out, you can put a wrench on the timing gear bolt to turn the engine over.  Shine a bright light down the #1 plug hole and you'll see the top of the piston as it comes up.  When you see it close to the top, look at the timing mark on the damper pulley and get it to zero.  Look at the first two cam lobes at the front of the engine and make sure that they are pointed upward.  That will be the compression stroke.

And this could take up to 4 full rotations??? 

53 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

And this could take up to 4 full rotations??? 

No.

Each piston reaches top dead center on the compression stroke once for every two revolutions of the crankshaft.

Stay focused on the number one cylinder. That is all you need to be concerned with.

So do what we are telling you.

Get the engine in #1 top dead center, and check if it is on the compression or exhaust stroke. If it is on the compression stroke, stop and see where the distributor drive tang is. 

If it is on the exhaust stroke, roll the engine ONE MORE TIME to get it to the TDC  position.

Stop all this needless rotating of the engine over and over and over.

• Like 1

ok -  so what is the maximum amount of times i may have to spin engine to get tdc for piston #1 -- whats the answer to that so i know what i am dealing with - i know i can be a i bit repetitive at times... but im learning here and still abit unclear about where each piston is at each rotation..  if the answer is 2  - i have already shown photos of where the dizzy lands at both.... so i assume  it could be more then 2??

19 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

ok -  so what is the maximum amount of times i may have to spin engine to get tdc for piston #1 -- whats the answer to that so i know what i am dealing with - i know i can be a i bit repetitive at times... but im learning here and still abit unclear about where each piston is at each rotation..  if the answer is 2  - i have already shown photos of where the dizzy lands at both.... so i assume  it could be more then 2??

We have already answered the question. 

And you answered it in this post.

As we said, each piston travels through two revolutions per cycle. 

Suck.

The piston travels down and draws in the air/fuel mixture.

Squeeze.

The piston travels upwards, compressing the air/fuel mixture. As it nears the top of the stroke:

Bang.

The resulting explosion of the air/fuel mixture pushes the piston down, making the crankshaft rotate.

Blow.

As the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke it again travels up, pushing the spent air/fuel mixture out the exhaust valve.

Each of the six pistons do this, just not at the same time.

It isn’t magic.

It is mechanical engineering.

What we need from you (and we have asked already) is when the piston is at the top, which top dead center event are we seeing with a given position of the distributor drive tang.

Again, it isn’t magic, and none of us are mind readers. We just need a simple answer.

When the distributor drive is in “x” position, what TDC event is happening at that exact moment.

Give us the answer, and we will tell you where your engine is, and what you need to do to fix it.

I get that you are learning, and your understanding of the fundamentals is limited. We were all there at one time.