Need machine shop that can align bore L28 cam towers - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Need machine shop that can align bore L28 cam towers

Featured Replies

Due to excessive wear of the bores in the cam towers, I am in the process of making and inserting bronze bearing inserts.

So far, my search for a machine shop capable of align boring them has turned up one shop in Ohio, JCM Machine and Coatings.  I am in Virginia.  Though I have done it before, I am not delighted by the idea of shipping my head off somewhere.  I'd much rather see their operation, look the man in the eye, and so on.

Does anyone know of a shop that can do this work (and do it brilliantly!) - anywhere, but local would be ideal?

Yep, I was going to suggest Datsun Spirit also since you are in VA.

  • Author

I'll reach out to him and see what he says.

Thanks

Why the line bore ? Can you swap out towers ? 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I own a Sunnen line bore machine and I would be trying different sets of towers before I went that route. Setting up the boring bar to bore the correct ID and getting the head true to the machine is a major PIA. 

  • Author

@madkawI decided to start a thread for this project to explain some of the work I am planning.  I will reply to your question there.

It's titled: Another Z to see the roads again...

@DerekThanks for that input.  My concern is that used towers are unknown quality/condition.  New bearings and bored to specification, assuming it is done properly eliminates any problem of a loose bore (loss of oil pressure, flexing of the cam, maybe loose engine noise which I hate).  More on the other thread.

  • Author

Yeah - .0015 - .0020 interference. 

The coefficients of expansion are ~12.5 for aluminum and ~9.76 for bronze.  If the towers see a temperature change of 120F (bearings made at 80F, engine warms to 200F), then the bore in the towers would increase from 2.0400 (1.8898 + bearing wall thickness of .075) to 2.0431.

The bearing OD would change from 2.0415 (2.0400 + .0015) to 2.0439, so still an interference of about 8 tenths. 

I'm beginning to like @madkaw's suggestion of sourcing another head.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.