IGNORED

280z starting problems

dylancorrea1

Here's another useful "Tech-Tip" page put together by 240260280 and his friends. Bookmark it for sure.
It has great photos and he explains stuff in a very understandable way. It was my lifeline when I semi restored my '77. The "EFI and Fuel" section is a gold mine of information in my opinion.
https://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

Thank you so much! Will do right now I’m cleaning the connections as we speak and will start looking for leaks as soon as I get the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, dylancorrea1 said:

ive gotten the car to run even do a lap around

Seems like the car was in pretty good shape when you got it and really just needs a few small things.  Don't do anything drastic, no big changes are necessary.  If it was drivable and only sat for a couple of months then many of things you'd do for a car that sat for years aren't needed.

I'd focus on avoiding disasters, like burning your wiring because you have the wrong fusible links.  Looks like you have that covered.

Here's a simple one.  Move that wire before it gets jammed in the hood latch.

image.png

• Like 1

if you don't have a smoke machine a cheap cigar works very well, just puff into a hose attached to the brake booster port on the intake manifold. You have to plug up the front of the AFM 1st use a Styrofoam cup or plastic sheet or what every you have handy. A easy to miss leak is the fuel injectors o rings. they can come off while messing with the install. Anyway puff into the intake manifold and look for smoke, you should feel some resistance, but still be able to blow smoke in easy enough. Don't inhale the cigar smoke, it will make you turn green.

It does look like a good car. B)

I noticed the battery's wires and couldn't figure out which is which. The original position was the positive post next to the fender, negative closest to the motor. There's a small ground wire that needs to be connected to the firewall under the passenger's side of the windshield off the negative cable.

Circled in red here...

image.png

Why would he need a smoke machine, or a cigar?  He said it runs well once it warms up, enough to do "a lap".  All that seems to be here is difficult cold starts, and some dodgy work by the PO on the wiring.

Just saying, there's a risk of over-advising.  There doesn't seem to be a vacuum leak problem.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:36 PM, dylancorrea1 said:

Yes the car has started and sounded fine to me, the first time I worked on it with my father.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, dylancorrea1 said:

ive gotten the car to run even do a lap around

Im fairly new to the 280z world myself and currently working on getting mine running. But a thought could be the cold start valve or thermotime switch? Checking with a multimeter would be a good start. 

I thought about it being the cold start valve after watching a few videos, but I think it would only really help the start be a bit faster, but i will definitely be checking thank you for the advice I hope ur project comes along well! I also need to invest into a multimeter.

26 minutes ago, dylancorrea1 said:

I thought about it being the cold start valve after watching a few videos, but I think it would only really help the start be a bit faster, but i will definitely be checking thank you for the advice I hope ur project comes along well! I also need to invest into a multimeter.

Oh thats right! isnt the cold start valve only getting a signal while cranking? So just the initial start. Good point

I checked fuel pressure, and received about 20-25psi, I believe its supposed to be 36psi so I will be getting a new fuel pump. I already installed a new battery and new fusible links car seems to want to turn a bit faster, won’t stay on still but its getting there.

• Like 1

It does look like a good car. B)
I noticed the battery's wires and couldn't figure out which is which. The original position was the positive post next to the fender, negative closest to the motor. There's a small ground wire that needs to be connected to the firewall under the passenger's side of the windshield off the negative cable.
Circled in red here...
image.thumb.png.f077e0af0a3cb9ad54d6772ad06e5a6c.png

Car starts and stays on now, changed the fusible links, new battery, the fuel pump is a little low on the pressure but works, and messed with the idle a bit. Oh and also cleaned the grounds.

• Like 1