IGNORED

280z starting problems

dylancorrea1

Im new to this im no grease monkey, and im 18
I have had trouble with my 1978 280z starting ive gotten the car to run even do a lap around but it has trouble when starting the car cranks and sounds like it wants to start but wont, starting fluid really helps to turn it on but if i let my foot off the clutch and off the gas the car will turn off, if i give it constant gas it will stay on as long as i keep giving it has if it dips under 1k rpm it will die, after many many attempts I can get the car to stay on and idles around 800-1000rpm and will stay on, im guessing it may be a fuel Issue it does not read temperature on the temp gauge so sensors may not be working. I can provide more info, photos, or videos if it could help you guys help me, im novice and have been going off forums i have no prior experience with cars this is the first, running tests will be difficult for me and will take me time but recommend away.

New parts list:

-ngk spark plugs and wires
-ignition coil
-new afm boot
-oil filter
-fuel filter
-new fuses
-new cap and rotor
-new alternator
-new battery cables
It does need a new battery as the battery is completely dead and must be jump started
Planning on getting a fuel pump, battery, and either fpr or cold start ignition valve

482541045cc80c0e8cce8f7993d8ab85.jpg&key=316d8d1a6038b86267b7e16148410280dfebb327f2fccb6c5d4329d73762fe1d

08cccee4d957d003aade19bec80e6037.jpg&key=6aaa0d8238df6f77dd2b6a2e983030a6e8a1dea68853160519f4e6c54bd35a02
f2dca281e2c80972bf45e882e98985ff.jpg&key=12f153c2d4eaf81698eef26fd638dade3e804aabb8d1ed9765d320fb63c97d60
c4435599019075112086393ca674bc8a.jpg&key=6fe88eab477b4b3140522381d2f3dcc23574c3fd1529826368de852a647bb99e
Here are some engine bay photos, the previous owner did some really bad jobs. For example that carpet to protect it from the rain which im planning on removing, and failing at installing a sub in the car. I couldn’t upload videos of the engine running sadly the app did not let me.

6 hours ago, dylancorrea1 said:

Im new to this im no grease monkey, and im 18

I have had trouble with my 1978 280z starting

ive gotten the car to run even do a lap around but it has trouble when starting the car cranks and sounds like it wants to start but wont,

starting fluid really helps to turn it on but if i let my foot off the clutch and off the gas the car will turn off,

if i give it constant gas it will stay on as long as i keep giving it has if it dips under 1k rpm it will die,

after many many attempts I can get the car to stay on and idles around 800-1000rpm and will stay on,

im guessing it may be a fuel Issue it does not read temperature on the temp gauge so sensors may not be working.

I can provide more info, photos, or videos if it could help you guys help me, im novice and have been going off forums i have no prior experience with cars this is the first, running tests will be difficult for me and will take me time but recommend away.

New parts list:

-ngk spark plugs and wires

-ignition coil

new afm boot

-oil filter

-fuel filter

-new fuses

-new cap and rotor

-new alternator

-new battery cables

It does need a new battery as the battery is completely dead and must be jump started

Planning on getting a fuel pump, battery, and either fpr or cold start ignition valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just doing a favor for anyone else who tries to read your post. 

Sorry but the run on train of thought tapping on the phone texts are hard to read... (Edited - I was being an arse.  Well done, Dylan.)

How long have you had the car and has it ever run right?

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

I've got the thought processes of an 18 year old so maybe I can help. 

Fuel, fire and air are the main 3 things needed to run a combustion engine. You need to get them all working but can do so one at time.

Get a good battery, unhook the small solenoid wire on the starter. That should let the fuel pump run without cranking the car. Pull the hose off the top of the filter on the passenger's side up front in the engine bay. Put it in an empty gas can and see if you have a good flow of fuel.

Pull a spark plug and turn the motor over to look and see if you have a good spark.

Take the air filter out for testing. Clean any debris out of the air box.

Not necessarily in that order but you'll have to do those basic things no matter what.

I would put a new filter on and some new 10w30 oil. Get the cheap stuff at walmart if the car hasn't run in awhile. Clean the spark plugs before buying new ones.

Clean all the grounds on the engine as described here...

https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

Read this on vacuum leaks...

https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/airleaks/index.html

Let us know what you find out.

I wouldn't fall into the trap I did buying up a bunch of parts you don't need.

• Like 2

Your problem could be a number of things. A good battery is a place to start. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge installed in the gas line before it enters the fuel filter. The cold start system is more complacated and I would suggest down loading a factory service manual to learn about it. Guessing with new parts is not a good idea and can become expensive. The FSM has all the answers. Do you have a friend close by who knows more than you do? Keep us posted.

50 minutes ago, dylancorrea1 said:

it will stay on as long as i keep giving it has if it dips under 1k rpm it will die, after many many attempts I can get the car to stay on and idles around 800-1000rpm and will stay on,

Darn it, I tried to quote my own post but it only quoted the part I wrote.  So I had to go dig around in the pile of words.

This part, above, sounds like the AAR.  It's the thing that looks like a torpedo on the intake manifold with the hoses running through it.

If you want to get by in the short term, just turn up the idle speed screw.  It will start and stay running but the idle speed will keep increasing as it warms up.

Edited by Zed Head

Darn it, I tried to quote my own post but it only quoted the part I wrote.  So I had to go dig around in the pile of words.
This part, above, sounds like the AAR.  It's the thing that looks like a torpedo on the intake manifold with the hoses running through it.
If you want to get by in the short term, just turn up the idle speed screw.  It will start and stay running but the idle speed will keep increasing as it warms up.

Yes the car has started and sounded fine to me, the first time I worked on it with my father. Excuse my grammar I can be very terrible at it, I will check the AAR as soon as possible thank you for the help!

Your problem could be a number of things. A good battery is a place to start. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge installed in the gas line before it enters the fuel filter. The cold start system is more complacated and I would suggest down loading a factory service manual to learn about it. Guessing with new parts is not a good idea and can become expensive. The FSM has all the answers. Do you have a friend close by who knows more than you do? Keep us posted.

Im working on getting a new battery by this week or next, and was also thinking of conducting a fuel pressure test. I do have the FSM but have no clue where to start. I sadly have no friends or anyone who can help and have had my dads help since he has more experience but anything beyond a few maintenance changes are above his knowledge.

Zed Head has a good idea as usual.

Run the idle up while you're tinkering with getting it running. 

That's always been a hard buger to figure out, the idle adjustment. This thread shows what you need to be turning. Good luck and as said above keep us posted. Pictures are very helful also. I'd like to see the fusible links on the passenger's side, about a foot forward of the battery. Those are super important to your car.

Here's that idle adjustment thread.

Edited by siteunseen

QUOTE: "I do have a FSM but have no clue where to start".

I understand your lack of experience, but there is hope.  Again, the FSM is your friend.  Go to the Engine Tune-Up section, trouble diagnoses and corrections, ET14.  Just follow the probable causes for the condition you told us about earlier.  Work through some of that and repost.  It's difficult to offer advice without more information from you.  These engines are somewhat simple compaired to today's engines that need to be "plugged" in to diagnose problems.  Hang in there.  Many of us where exactly where you are at a point in the past.  There are a few good and helpful members here that will probably help you to get up and running after you are able to provide more feedback.

• Like 1

I've got the thought processes of an 18 year old so maybe I can help. 
Fuel, fire and air are the main 3 things needed to run a combustion engine. You need to get them all working but can do so one at time.
Get a good battery, unhook the small solenoid wire on the starter. That should let the fuel pump run without cranking the car. Pull the hose off the top of the filter on the passenger's side up front in the engine bay. Put it in an empty gas can and see if you have a good flow of fuel.
Pull a spark plug and turn the motor over to look and see if you have a good spark.
Take the air filter out for testing. Clean any debris out of the air box.
Not necessarily in that order but you'll have to do those basic things no matter what.
I would put a new filter on and some new 10w30 oil. Get the cheap stuff at walmart if the car hasn't run in awhile. Clean the spark plugs before buying new ones.
Clean all the grounds on the engine as described here...
https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html
Read this on vacuum leaks...
https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/airleaks/index.html
Let us know what you find out.
I wouldn't fall into the trap I did buying up a bunch of parts you don't need.

Ive replaced the fuel filter and did an oil change a few months ago, cleaned out the air filter as well. Im going to get a good battery to start since the car wont even turn on until jump starter and will run a fuel pressure test this week or next. The spark plugs are new like a month new I the old ones and will inspect for carbon build up. Thank you so much for all the advice ill begin cleaning the grounds and checking air leaks.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Great folks here that give solid advice. I've got a couple of cents worth of guesses, but I think a little more history of your car would help us more.   Is the car new to you? or has it been in your family for a while?  Has the car been "sitting" for a long time without running?  Is the gas relatively fresh. I saw the new parts list,  did you set the timing with a timing light?   We understand all of this can be intimidating and full of rabbit holes,  but just take it slow and figure it out as you go.  Everything will make sense later.  Pictures can really help us see what you are working with so add them when you can.

• Like 1

Yep, I forgot to say hello and welcome to a very helpful group of guys that bought these car brand new. They know them inside and out, up and down.

Working on cars was the last thing on my mind at 18 so we're glad you are here, proves most of our theories wrong. 

The young and the restless do know how to drive a stick shift. LOL

• Like 2