IGNORED

Help IDing under dash device.

maj75

I looked in the Owner’s manual and it says nothing about this Push/Pull thing. I assume it’s for the AC or vent system.  It sort of a rotary housing with a slider that moves back and forth.  Doesn’t seem to have a stop pushing it towards the front of the car.  I had the fan blowing and couldn’t tell if it did anything when I moved it.

I know someone here know what this thing is and what it’s supposed to do!

15977E08-C889-46E5-9BBE-97152442A79A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:
2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Edit - it's in the AC chapter of the FSM.

image.png

I don’t see anything that looks like it on this diagram.  It definitely isn’t one of the numbered items.  It is located to the right of the blower housing and a hose in and out.

It’s  definitely factory, can came with AC from the factory.

Here is one I have ...    Lever opens a rectangular shaped vent opening.

I think all the AC optioned 280's had them,  many lost over the years from po foolery.   Push to close, pull to open for that big blast of cool air on your feet.

280 Vent.jpg

10 hours ago, S30Driver said:

Here is one I have ...    Lever opens a rectangular shaped vent opening.

I think all the AC optioned 280's had them,  many lost over the years from po foolery.   Push to close, pull to open for that big blast of cool air on your feet.

280 Vent.jpg

Thanks, that’s it.  Now I know how to close it.  Hopefully that forces more air through the rest of the vents.  

you will find the forced air is not that forceful, esp out of the side vents. If you end up pulling the dash you can look into sealing up all the joints. there is a lot of foam wrapping that tends to come loose, perhaps to the point if large leaks. I did my best to seal everything up when I pulled the dash. I would like to think I have better air flow out of the vents, I tell myself that, but really not sure it helped. Lots of folks attempt various fan motor swaps, I think the 280z fan is about as much wattage the current electrical system can handle. IIRC it said 160 watts. The weak point IMHO is the fuse panel. the holders may not be it the best of shape, (weak spring/corrosion,crimp joints) which allows losses and heat (look for melting plastic both on the cover and the box).

I have thought of putting a relay for full power setting, but decided it was just going to be too much changing of the OE system.